Steps to reduce Gas Tank ruptures in rear end collision....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ_Bob

Reaction score
My 2006 KJ was fitted with a Tow Bar during the recall a few years back...I was rear ended by a Chevy Cruze last week...Luckily I was stopped a fair distance from the car in front of me and did not ram into them...I was left mostly with just neck and back pain...the jeep was another story

The good news the gas tank did not rupture...but the tow bar was wound up pretty tight and deforming the plastic tank (I have yet to take the tow bar off yet)...had the other driver been going a bit faster during impact, I could have ended up like these two horrible stories: Story 1 Story 2

I really like the KJ, and decided to get the needed repairs myself instead of totaling it (only two options the insurance company would offer). My strategy to address the fuel tank Pinto design is to:

- Step 1. Get another trailer hitch from a junked KJ that is exactly like the one that was put on my KJ - since these were supposedly better able to withstand the low/moderate speed impacts to protect the fuel tank

- Step 2. Get a 6-8" drop Ball Hitch, to help prevent sedans/coupes getting under the KJ during another rear end collision -- the lower front profile of cars along with sudden braking make them into wedges that can get underneath the KJ and rupture the tank...and like in one of the stories above...flip the KJ so you can't get out while its on fire from the leaking gas tank....

- Step 3. Get a Gas Tank Skid plate from a Junked KJ...from deposition during the recall, it was stated “The skid plate underneath only protects the tank from stones from the ground.”...however I would hope if a car managed to get under the tank, it would prevent the gas tank from getting crushed...then again maybe not?

Thinking more about this, I am not sure there is a practical means for me to mitigate the lousy fuel tank placement...perhaps best I just buy another car for my daily driver and save the KJ for the few times I need 4 wheel drive capabilities...

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My thoughts.......you're thinking too much about it
My 04 was rear ended 4 or was it 5 times pretty hard, with 32s and over 4 inches of lift it also sits higher than most KJs but I run a Kilby gas tank skid and a steel rear bumper . Not to protect the gas tank from idiots but from rocks etc
Someone rupturing the gas tank is the farthest thing on my mind when going down the road in any of my KJs ( have 3 )
Factory gas tank skids are thin metal , would not help any really.
There are many ways when someone hits you hard that may kill you. Where the gas tank is some think is bad but been that way on many different vehicles over the years.
If you're scared of where it is, sell it !

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts.......you're thinking too much about it
My 04 was rear ended 4 or was it 5 times pretty hard, with 32s and over 4 inches of lift it also sits higher than most KJs but I run a Kilby gas tank skid and a steel rear bumper . Not to protect the gas tank from idiots but from rocks etc
Someone rupturing the gas tank is the farthest thing on my mind when going down the road in any of my KJs ( have 3 )
Factory gas tank skids are thin metal , would not help any really.
There are many ways when someone hits you hard that may kill you. Where the gas tank is some think is bad but been that way on many different vehicles over the years.
If you're scared of where it is, sell it !

^this.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can ask the little punk that drove his honda underneath the back of my KJ implanting my rear diff cover all the way to his header.

Didn't even scratch my Kilby gas tank skid,no rear hitch.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can ask the little punk that drove his honda underneath the back of my KJ implanting my rear diff cover all the way to his header.

Didn't even scratch my Kilby gas tank skid,no rear hitch.

Haha....reminded me, I had a Ford Bronco II years ago with the gas tank in the same place as the KJ and a honda accord rear ended me and went underneith and imprinted my trailer hitch through his radiator and folded up his hood. No damage to my rear end or gas tank skid or anything. He had to be towed leaking anti-freeze, and power steering fluid and oil and everything all over with parts falling off.....hahaha.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone that has made contact with the 04 was towed away, well one tried to run, only made it about 1/4 mile. Cops followed the trail that he left! LOL

KJ_Bob

Reaction score
My 04 was rear ended 4 or was it 5 times pretty hard, with 32s and over 4 inches of lift ...

With 4"+ of lift plus 32"s...that should put your 04 roughly at 6"+ higher clearance over stock (28" tires)? ...Bringing the stock 9.4" ground clearance to 15.4"+?...

Can I ask what is the ball park figure to have 32"s put on with the associated updates to the KJ - coils, shocks?, re-calibrate speedo?

I would think with this setup along with your gas tank skid plate, should put the fuel tank in a safer situation. higher up, so when a car gets under the bumper then tips back up - it would be in a higher position so less upward pressure on the skid plate/gas tank ...the higher position so the rear ender car is less likely to have a hard hit on the trailer hitch, instead hitting the tires...with the skid plate, allowing the rear ender to slide under the tank rather than hitting it....getting hit by something like a truck or suv wouldn't change much...still going to hit the rear hatch/frame/trailer hitch/mounted spare tire...Will just need to take it easier on corners and much less mpg....I'll take that :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 4"+ of lift plus 32"s...that should put your 04 roughly at 6"+ higher clearance over stock (28" tires)? ...Bringing the stock 9.4" ground clearance to 15.4"+?...

Can I ask what is the ball park figure to have 32"s put on with the associated updates to the KJ - coils, shocks?, re-calibrate speedo?

I would think with this setup along with your gas tank skid plate, should put the fuel tank in a safer situation. higher up, so when a car gets under the bumper then tips back up - it would be in a higher position so less upward pressure on the skid plate/gas tank ...the higher position so the rear ender car is less likely to have a hard hit on the trailer hitch, instead hitting the tires...with the skid plate, allowing the rear ender to slide under the tank rather than hitting it....getting hit by something like a truck or suv wouldn't change much...still going to hit the rear hatch/frame/trailer hitch/mounted spare tire...Will just need to take it easier on corners and much less mpg....I'll take that :)

All of those fires from rear end collisions you will find for KJ's are from the KJ being stopped(like at a stop light) and a much larger vehicle slamming into them at high speeds(55mph+).Doesn't take a genius to figure out eitherway the driver and passengers in the KJ are going to have a very bad day.

Look at Ford Crown Vics,something like 100 times for fires reported in rear end accidents and 90% of those are police vehicles that got railed by traffic when the cop had someone pulled over and being hit at 55mph+.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All of those fires from rear end collisions you will find for KJ's are from the KJ being stopped(like at a stop light) and a much larger vehicle slamming into them at high speeds(55mph+).Doesn't take a genius to figure out eitherway the driver and passengers in the KJ are going to have a very bad day.

Look at Ford Crown Vics,something like 100 times for fires reported in rear end accidents and 90% of those are police vehicles that got railed by traffic when the cop had someone pulled over and being hit at 55mph+.

Exactly, show me any vehicle that will take a semi running into it at 55+ and the people spring out of it like nothing happened...I still feel the KJs are among the safest vehicles on the road. Feel very safe in mine.

Hey, at least this 2014 Silverado didn't explode. A+++++ for safety. (not to make light of it, may their souls rest in piece).
You must be registered for see images attach

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel a lot safer in my Jeep (4" lift and 255/70R16) than I did in the Geo Tracker I drove for 16 years before I got the Jeep. Not to mentioned the Geo Metro I drove for seven years before that.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worried about that myself. My hitch ate a Subaru lately.

czarkj-albums-my-jeep-picture5384-img-1281.jpg

czarkj-albums-my-jeep-picture5382-img-1279.jpg

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove a Pinto years ago. No comparison to the confidence I have in the KJ.

If only Ford had figured out the trailer-hitch fix at the time.... :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

The jeepinbyal adjustable coilover lifts I run cost about 2100-2500, now add in regearing to 4.10s maybe 1300-1500. Then tires another thousand, good skids another 2-300 at least just for gas tank skid
Take it easier on corners ????:happy175:Mine does better lifted than it did with 100 miles on it. One road I have driven for over 45 years , the KJs take the turns way better lifted than stock.
As far as mileage 21-22 on the highway at 75 plus is not bad in my book.
Not sure where or what you been reading but a well sit up KJ does way better than stock ever did. Done over 50 KJ lifts, no one has ever complained about it slowing them down etc

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen a newer style grand prix going 55+ rear end a liberty outside my house one night...the guys hitch bent inward and it dented his tank a little but nothing too crazy, but the grand prix was completely smashed up in the front. Made me feel slightly safer in my jeep.

Last edited: