Steering feels Spongy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mntnbkr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently replaced a bunch of front end parts, and got an alignment, but something doesn't feel right in the steering. Some of the parts that I replaced include: Right front CV shaft & intermediate shaft, left front wheel bearing, left & right lower control arms (Mevotech), left & right lower ball joints (Mevotech). I replaced a lot more, but these are the only parts that I believe could affect the steering.

I rarely drive this car (it's my wifes vehicle) so I don't really familiar with how it felt before, but it seems that the steering is kinda unresponsive. It also seems to want to drift a little when going straight down the road, however it doesn't "pull" left or right.(dunno) My wife thinks the steering feels "spongy" but she's only driven it about 4 miles down a dirt road since the repairs were done. I'm half wondering if it's just in my head because I've been driving a brand new Avenger for the last month with super tight / effortless steering.

I've never Diagnosed steering issues before, so if you guys could give me some tips / advise / things to look for, I'd appreciate it. We're taking the jeep on vacation this weekend (300 mile round trip), so I'll have plenty of time to get a feel for it.

Thanks,
Adam

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently replaced a bunch of front end parts, and got an alignment, but something doesn't feel right in the steering. Some of the parts that I replaced include: Right front CV shaft & intermediate shaft, left front wheel bearing, left & right lower control arms (Mevotech), left & right lower ball joints (Mevotech). I replaced a lot more, but these are the only parts that I believe could affect the steering.

I rarely drive this car (it's my wifes vehicle) so I don't really familiar with how it felt before, but it seems that the steering is kinda unresponsive. It also seems to want to drift a little when going straight down the road, however it doesn't "pull" left or right.(dunno) My wife thinks the steering feels "spongy" but she's only driven it about 4 miles down a dirt road since the repairs were done. I'm half wondering if it's just in my head because I've been driving a brand new Avenger for the last month with super tight / effortless steering.

I've never Diagnosed steering issues before, so if you guys could give me some tips / advise / things to look for, I'd appreciate it. We're taking the jeep on vacation this weekend (300 mile round trip), so I'll have plenty of time to get a feel for it.

Thanks,
Adam

I think maybe the "spongy" is more of a "new" feeling. That is just my opinion. Just because you got an alignment doesn't mean its a good alignment. A good or bad alignment can make all the difference in the world. It can totally change a vehicle. I've experienced both good and bad alignments and the bad ones are always memorable yet the good ones leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling.
If its drifting either something is loose or the alignment is bad. OR maybe the tires are so uneven from the bad junk on it before that they are causing it...

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Have you checked bushings in rack mount? Could be air in system also,does it whine?

mntnbkr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of the old parts were replaced because they were "bad". I had to pull the front axle to get to the oil pan. All the replacement parts were "casualties" from the axle removal process which included cutting through the control arm bolts to remove them. So, the tires should be OK... (fronts are almost brand new anyway).

The alignment spec sheet (from Belle Tire) shows everything within spec. I'm not sure if that means that it's a "good" alignment though.

I talked to another Liberty driver here at work and asked him to take it for a drive at lunch to tell me how it compares to his. I'll post the results.

Thanks for the reply.

mntnbkr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked bushings in rack mount? Could be air in system also,does it whine?

No whining sound, so I don't think there's a power steering problem. The first thing I was thinking was steering rack bushings. How can I tell if they're bad. I had my wife turn the wheel while I watched the rack, and there was no movement, so I'm not sure.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
No movement,they are probably OK. I know when I have fooled with mine it seems different for a few days till we get used to each other again.

mntnbkr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No movement,they are probably OK. I know when I have fooled with mine it seems different for a few days till we get used to each other again.

Haha... I like the way you put that... and I think that just might be what's going on here. I really need to just start letting my wife drive it again, but I want to make sure everything is A-OK before putting her and our baby in it. After this weekend though, as long as nothing goes wrong, she'll be back behind the wheel.

mntnbkr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the brand of parts you used,the bushings maybe softer then OEM speced rubber and that is your "floaty" feel.

I was wondering that myself. That's why I specified the brand of ball joint and LCA's. I didn't want to mention it though becauseIi wanted to see if someone else suggested it.

I just had my buddy at work drive it and he said it feels just like driving his liberty. So as of right now, I'm satisfied that there is nothing "wrong" with it. Maybe we just need to "get used to each other again" lol.:D

Thanks guys!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering that myself. That's why I specified the brand of ball joint and LCA's. I didn't want to mention it though becauseIi wanted to see if someone else suggested it.

I just had my buddy at work drive it and he said it feels just like driving his liberty. So as of right now, I'm satisfied that there is nothing "wrong" with it. Maybe we just need to "get used to each other again" lol.:D

Thanks guys!
When my KJ was still IFS I had to also change both my LCA's since the bushings were toeast from wheeling it hard,it was cheaper tpo replace the whole LCA with new bushing then actually just changing the bushings themselfs.I used brand new OEM LCA's and afterwards had a firmer ride that's why I suggested the brand of parts.

mntnbkr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
,it was cheaper tpo replace the whole LCA with new bushing then actually just changing the bushings themselfs.

Yep, that's why I put entirely new LCA's on mine too... However I used the cheapest ones I could find...lol. Not OEM.:eek:

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good or bad alignment can make all the difference in the world. It can totally change a vehicle.

Alignment was my first thought, also. But since the other guy said it felt just like his Libby...(dunno) Is it possible you could drive his, just to judge for yourself?

Latest posts

Members online