Steel wheels, any good for daily driving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PEEJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since I am on the prowl for a decent looking 16" wheel I noticed a number of steel wheels.
I looked at Cragar Soft 8's / Unique Wheels / Procomp and Mangels.

I understand that steel will be always heavier than alloys, but is it noticable, are there any other downsides to running steel wheels?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer steel wheels. I bought some off a Dodge Nitro. But have not installed yet. I'm looking for a 5th one for full size spare. I would also have to get a reinstall kit for the TPMS.
My Uncle stopped by the other day he worked for a dealer that Chrysler closed. Thought he might have somethings for my KK.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steel wheels are fine for daily driving- I've had my soft 8s for over 4 years now. The only problem with them is they can be more difficult to balance than alloy wheels and since there is more rotating weight, they will cost you a little bit of mileage, especially in the city. The difference is hard to measure though, since I got bigger tires at the same time :)

PEEJ

Reaction score
Thanks guys, just went out to get a set of 16" Mangels 8-spokes.
Fitment was't an issue, they are combined with BFG AT K/O's in 235/70/16.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.