Stealership at it again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.... I want to get a coolant flush on Mr. Darcy (he seems to be burping whenever I get home, no leaks) and also get the ECU reset to see if I can get rid of all those driving habits he picked up from timid tourists mis-shifting so I called the dealership. He quoted me $90 for the ECU and $90 for the flush plus fluids. I'm ok with $90 for the coolant, seems reasonable since I doubt anyone else on island will have the proper tools, but $90 for the ECU?!? That just seems ridiculous. The only way I can justify that price is if it will also help with the reverse shudder. Any thoughts on any of this? Anybody work for a dealership who wants to come to the VI for vacation and do some quick work for me? lol

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory charges the dealer $50 for the program not to mention the monthly fee the factory charges the dealer just because.

You could by a $4K scan tool and do it yourself.

They have Porsche in South Africa? I thought you guys just ran everywhere.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I guess you guys think $90 is a respectable price to reset the ECU. I just thought I had seen on here that dealerships in the states do it for free so I threw it out there. I suppose ninety for the coolant sounds decent to you all as well, any idea how much the HOAT will cost on top of that? The guy I talked to on the phone didn't seem very interested in giving me an estimate on that.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I guess you guys think $90 is a respectable price to reset the ECU. I just thought I had seen on here that dealerships in the states do it for free so I threw it out there. I suppose ninety for the coolant sounds decent to you all as well, any idea how much the HOAT will cost on top of that? The guy I talked to on the phone didn't seem very interested in giving me an estimate on that.
Some get lucky and have a good relationship with there dealers but it's standard to charge at least 1 hour labor to hook up the DRBIII/StarScan.The coolant flush should include coolant already,if not pass as the prices of a coolant flush here in the states at the dealership is about $90 which includes the coolant already.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory charges the dealer $50 for the program not to mention the monthly fee the factory charges the dealer just because.

not right (nothing bad intended) but funny.............LOL

Dave

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have a Jeep so I dont have to walk or run anywhere!:Big Laugh:

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright the boy tells me you guys let me get away with a major faux pas! I don't want to reset the ECU to fix the transmission, I want to reset the PCM! I'm disappointed nobody questioned me and my crazy antics lol Ssssoooo I am going to call back today and ask how much it would be to reset the PCM so that the transmission can get rid of those nasty shifting habits.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought if you have the trans service done here it includes a flash of the PCM

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright the boy tells me you guys let me get away with a major faux pas! I don't want to reset the ECU to fix the transmission, I want to reset the PCM! I'm disappointed nobody questioned me and my crazy antics lol Ssssoooo I am going to call back today and ask how much it would be to reset the PCM so that the transmission can get rid of those nasty shifting habits.
What you want is the Trans relearn done.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Surely you mean the TCM?
The ECM is used in a CRD
The PCM is the ECU alternative in a gasser.
The TCM controls the automatic transmission...you need a TCM relearn I think:freak3:

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surely you mean the TCM?
The ECM is used in a CRD
The PCM is the ECU alternative in a gasser.
The TCM controls the automatic transmission...you need a TCM relearn I think:freak3:

Yes... Everything you just said makes perfect sense to me, completely with no confusion at all :happy175:

I think I'll be making another call to the dealer on Monday, I doubt they're open today.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes... Everything you just said makes perfect sense to me, completely with no confusion at all :happy175:

I think I'll be making another call to the dealer on Monday, I doubt they're open today.

Ever get your trans service done?
Long story short was able to get mine done at the dealer with programing for free after the 32s. The tech she did a great job,soon as I drove it night and day diff and I hate to let anyone touch my rides but me. I paced for 11/2hrs before I got it back.