Starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bash_mct

Reaction score
My 2002 KJ doesn't start just makes clicking sound when i try to start.lights and all other accessories are fine.
have to try 10 to 15 times when it starts, i have replaced the battery recently but the battery was draining as i had LED courtesy lamps which were drawing current. once i removed them thing were back to normal. now since yesterday its not starting.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
bump,
What no one wants to talk about the need for battery charging/checking hydrometer/ voltage & load check, connections, solenoid or starters?

Last edited:

bash_mct

Reaction score
it starts fine but some times it need 2 to 3 cranks. recently i noticed that if i park it little inclined upwards it doesn't start easily.

any ideas why?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When was the last time you put new spark plugs in, how many miles ago?
What type of plugs do you have in there?
What type of fuel or ethanol percentage do you have there?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...What type of fuel or ethanol percentage do you have there?

I've had a similar problem. Parked on an incline and even with my brand new battery occasionally have to try a second time to get it started. 10% Ethanol here.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just pointing out that TC might be on to something. In Oman, I doubt you're getting any gas line freezing, though. :)

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe the fuel pump was having a hard time if parked at a incline. Not sure if that would be affected.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I just had it again right after I posted that. I backed into the steep driveway to see if it's easier tomorrow with the nose pointing down.

I hope it's not the fuel pump. :(

bash_mct

Reaction score
i use regular fuel i don"t know what octane it is we have two types one is super and one regular.
spark plugs are fairly new 1000 kms on it.

temperature here is on higher side.

it just dosent crank, only makes "click" sound few times then starts fine.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use regular fuel i don"t know what octane it is we have two types one is super and one regular.
spark plugs are fairly new 1000 kms on it.

temperature here is on higher side.

it just dosent crank, only makes "click" sound few times then starts fine.

Check that the battery connections are clean and tight, the negative lead going to the chassis is clean and tight and the grounding strap that grounds the engine to the chassis is clean and tight on both ends.

Swap over the Starter Relay under the hood with an identical one next to it.

Make sure the leads on the starter solenoid are clean and tight also.
Otherwise if it Clicks a few times before eventually turning over then the solenoid or starter is bad.:shrug: