Squealing fuel pump, or....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was coming back home today and had driven about 3 hours or so. Pulled off the interstate and heard a squeal or whine - almost like a turbocharger in a diesel truck. Thought the noise was in the engine bay but when I got home I got out of the KJ while it was running and heard the noise at the fuel tank. It's steady and didn't change with RPM's.

Next I turned the engine off then turned the key to ACC. The noise was there for just a couple of seconds then stopped like the fuel pump priming. If I started the engine the noise would continue.

Given the symptoms is it the fuel pump? Any other ideas?

On this trip I noticed some 'sluggishness' when I stomped it to get on the highway or holding the throttle steady climbing hills. Didn't seem to be an electrical issue - was thinking it wasn't getting quite enough fuel. No codes so far but I sure don't want to have pull the fuel module...

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it but I'd vote for the fuel pump. Never heard one squeal like you describe but have heard them get pretty noisy... before they just quit. At least it didn't strand you somewhere.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How does it start? Does it hesitate or crank for awhile before firing?

You might have the access door for it in the cargo area...03 was the transition year I think.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya sure sounds like the fuel pump. Is it about to leave you stranded?
I throw a couple of time per year some good ole MMO in the gas tank.
IDK at this point if it would help lube a bad pump or not, worth a try?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Jeep fires right up, no hesitation at all. I was traveling again today and took a two hour drive to a customer's place and it was quiet as a church mouse. On the trip back about 10 minutes from home it started whining again.

I do have the cargo hatch so at least I can get to the pump module from there. I'm thinking I'll replace the fuel filter too and hopefully not have to drop the hitch and tank skid to get to the one bolt that holds the filter to the front side of the tank.

I suppose with 202,000 miles the pump and filter have done their jobs - replacing them now I guess can be expected. I have one more week of heavy traveling though - hope the pump doesn't give up the ghost before next Saturday... :blah:

Bob