Squeak that won't go away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've got this squeak/chirping sound somewhere in my Jeep that I just can't seem to locate. Here are the symptoms...
  • It's only audible with the windows up, all the accessories off, and under 35mph. Above 35mph, it goes away.
  • It doesn't appear to be rythmic, or in relation to anything rotating.
  • It doesn't go away when the brakes are applied.
  • It doesn't appear to be in relation to going over bumps or potholes.
  • Appears to be coming from under the driver's feet
  • Only occurs while rolling, not stationary.

Everything in the front suspension seems to be tight. So far I've taken off the front sway bar bushings and lubed them to rule out those. I've replaced both front wheel bearing/hub assemblies with Timken units. My next step is to rule out the front drive shaft.

I'm at a loss here. Any thoughts as to what it could be? The best way I can describe it is it sounds like a metal-on-metal squeak.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Check your brakes completely. Disassemble the pads/calipers and take a look at the mounting area where the pad sits. Make sure everything is where it's suppose to be.

Could be a front DS noise??

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more question... does it squeak continuously, or does it only happen when going over bumps or irregularities in the road?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front driveshaft ujoints
Pull it and check them
maybe and free to check
and under drivers feet

Last edited:

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your brakes completely. Disassemble the pads/calipers and take a look at the mounting area where the pad sits. Make sure everything is where it's suppose to be.

Could be a front DS noise??

The reason I changed the front wheel bearing assemblies is because of this noise. Consequently, I looked the brakes over good when reassembling everything. Nothing looked out of the norm. The noise also doesn't go away when you apply the brakes. :( That would be a simple fix.

One more question... does it squeak continuously, or does it only happen when going over bumps or irregularities in the road?

It squeaks continuously as if something is just loose. It doesn't change when going over a bump.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front driveshaft ujoints
Pull it and check them
maybe and free to check
and under drivers feet

That's my next thought. When I crawled under there and checked it, I didn't notice any rotational slack or play. That doesn't mean that's not the culprit though.

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mystery squeak

I had an untractable squeak that came on rather quickly. Similar detection conditions. After we returnmed home (following sfety assessment) I checked & checked and found it to be that the rubber supporting the clevis bracket to th LCA was metal to metal...this happened in the space of a hundred kilometres....just on a trip home but was instigated by incident described below.
Replaced the bushing with Mopar original, sqeak disappeared.

It did very quickly start to become a groan but it was steering well etc - the result was a tough job as the crush bush was rubbing on the outer sleeve....uncovered by a 2 step process - just gazing at the undercarriage for diferrences between sides. Note if this is the case it is worth discissuing publicly as I remembered a few tricks which I plan to write up when I can.

Then I could definitely pin-point it jouncing to normalise suspension and little movements of body height (stress TINY movements like the driver breathing or wiggling in the seat to get comfortable) and a mechanics stethoscope defined totally....initially most notable inside as you describe.
Cause - torn by unmarked roadworks and a speed hump that was a missing part of road that dropped away suddenly by we estimate 8 inches - at night, unseen, @ 70 km / hr one of those concrete road sections so down, up and a WTF muttered by all in the truck.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Auberon

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an untractable squeak that came on rather quickly. Similar detection conditions. After we returnmed home (following sfety assessment) I checked & checked and found it to be that the rubber supporting the clevis bracket to th LCA was metal to metal...this happened in the space of a hundred kilometres....just on a trip home but was instigated by incident described below.
Replaced the bushing with Mopar original, sqeak disappeared.

It did very quickly start to become a groan but it was steering well etc - the result was a tough job as the crush bush was rubbing on the outer sleeve....uncovered by a 2 step process - just gazing at the undercarriage for diferrences between sides. Note if this is the case it is worth discissuing publicly as I remembered a few tricks which I plan to write up when I can.

Then I could definitely pin-point it jouncing to normalise suspension and little movements of body height (stress TINY movements like the driver breathing or wiggling in the seat to get comfortable) and a mechanics stethoscope defined totally....initially most notable inside as you describe.
Cause - torn by unmarked roadworks and a speed hump that was a missing part of road that dropped away suddenly by we estimate 8 inches - at night, unseen, @ 70 km / hr one of those concrete road sections so down, up and a WTF muttered by all in the truck.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Auberon

It's interesting that you mention the clevis to LCA bushing. Last summer I bought two of them because I thought they were worn. The bolt wasn't centered in the bushing. It sat kinda low. I replaced the bushing on the driver's side and it sits the same as the old one did. Therefore, I never bothered replacing the other side. That excactly what the noise sounds like though! Something like that.

At one point the metal tab on the lower clevis bolt was touching the lower control arm. I thought that was the culprit, but when I repositioned the bolt so the tab wasn't touching anything it was still there.

Ryan,
I've pondered the notion that it's on the interior too, especially since it can only be heard with the windows up.

What leads me to believe it's not, is that it will do it as soon the Jeep starts moving. For example, if I'm in a parking lot and just let the Jeep idle forward it'll squeak just as much as if I were doing 30mph.

Here's a question for everyone. When I removed the front drive shaft I had a small amount of differential oil run out of where the front drive shaft flange bolts to the front differential. It was only about two tablespoons, but I don't think this is normal. I'm not sure how the oil got in there. It must have worked its way past the splins on the yoke over time. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello ShafferNY. Sorry for the length of this post but it might of help, sometime, with luck. Apologies for the spelling it is 0600 here & have not been asleep yet.

I went through the same - when you think about it is still metal to metal and seems to be coming from there. I think at times the crush-tube was rubbing and so was the lower part of the clevis bracket just starting to rub on the LCA.

I hope this is useful for when you do cary out the work:
My clevis arm (lower) was so far off center that I couldn't get a square pull at the outer tube of the bush to get a straight pull and was worried I would crush the outer tube.....by the way I make my own tools for this kind of thing. I ended up modding old bolts in the lathe and re-shaping the flats so they would clear the LCA and pulling the inner crush tube right out of the way. From then on it was relatively easy. Smaller threaded rod, offset holes, flats cut into the tools all failed to get a square - enough pull to do the job so I finished with pulling the inner crush-tube out - turned out that the clevis bracket had just started to ever-so lightly rub on the LCA and there was also the metal to metal of the crush-tube.

Also of note is the fact that the eye through which the bush is pressed is narrower at the top than the base (the part of the LCA) - so I made packers out of old rather large ID washers (the same insdie diameter as the O.D. of the bush) to get a square pull and did it quite comfortably on the vehicle.

To put the info out there: Jeep dealership ONLY had worked on it - aaargh! until after warranty and had tried to fit a spanner to the heads of the bolts. This is NOT NECESSARY as Jeep have fitted quite substantive tabs to the heads of the bolts to stop them from rotating when being tightened and loosened. This applies to the drop bar for between the stabiliser bar and the LCA and the clevis bracket pin. THIS IS WELL DESIGNED. The position of the tabs don't matter but it was certainly worth a try.

Also, I know I will get some flack for this comment but I did compress the spring a little to lighten the load and lessen the angle through which the LCA was hanging and improve access. Please note before the critics come out of the wooodwork - I am disabled and need to hedge my bets to make it doable - I just can't give-up on what I have spent a lifetime learning to do. When reattaching the clevis bracket to the LCA, I also used what we call a podge or podger (a tapered bar riggers use for working with shackles and splicing wire rope) to align the holes and a smlal hysraulic jack.

I could have taken it out and put in the 20T shop press but the wheel alignment was good enough to give me something to work from, with the right techniques.
By the way, if you do work on this, I would, with respect, suggest a LONG SERIES 18mm AF (stabiliser drop arm nut) and 21 mm AF socket (clevis bracket nut) - the extra threads on the bolts projecting past the nuts makes this a more comfortable way of working. Yes, a ring-spanner to loosen but the remainder of the job is much easier especially when retorquing with the deeper sockets.
Also the heads of these bolts aren't imperial (I have spanners sets in 1/32 increments and didn't go even close) and they aren't metric.

The dealer had also set the camber @ 1.8 and 1.6 degrees which is way out. Whilst under the truck I have since bought it back myself ..... to as far as reasonable adjustment using standard cams whilst maintaining caster, to 0.3 degress and 0.4 degrees. Without new oversized cams or other action I could not get it back to 0 degrees or any closer....but that's another story. I am satisfied with 0.3 and 0.4.

The technique of changing the camber and maintaining caster is a long one and not for here.

Hope this is of use for yourself and anyone contemplating this work.
Cheers
Auberon

Last edited:

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auberon, sorry for the late post. The bushing assembly you're talking about is new on my Jeep. I replaced it not too long ago. I don't think that's the problem.

I put 400 miles on my Jeep this past weekend and it hasn't changed a bit. I don't think it's anything serious. It's just an annoyance.

I'm going to keep after it. I'll post if I find out what it is.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the chances this could be coming from the upper control arms?

They don't appear to be bad. Everything is nice and tight when you grab the top of the tire and try to move it in and out.

I don't think my UCA's are original since they say TRW on them and they still have the paint on them. They boot on the ball joint looks almost new too.

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi ShafferNY,
Not a problem at all.
Any chance you have a real mechanics stethoscope. That is how I find many of these issues. I have tried the old screwdriver trick but nothing beats a proper stethoscope. There's really not too much to do it in the UCA's except the bushes.
Just came to me - is it the stabiliser (sway) bar. Oft dropped to soften a suspension in racing and easy to remove. This can transfer through the chassis (oops we don't have one) but the front end.
A short run would prove it. The question is does it worry you enough to go to that level of trouble.
Cheers
Auberon