Squeak from hell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbeothuckl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am hoping someone here can help with this god awful squeak that I have in my 03 sport.
Since about November I have developed this really annoying squeak, which has gotten worse. Now to the point driving me F******G nuts.
Here is as much description as I can muster.
In November I'm beginning a long drive with the wife and I get a good chip in the windshield which immediately begins to spread across the length so that literally there are two half's. I mention this as it is hear when I began to hear the squeak. I have driven many trucks with a broken windshield and none of them have ever made a sound. I don't think that its the cause (well sometimes I do), I hope it is as I have a new one that is to be installed next week. Regardless has anyone heard of the windshield making a squeak when cracked?
As for the squeak itself. I cannot pinpoint it at all. It is a high pitched squeak that occurs when I go over bumps (sounds like the interior to me). The problem is that if you are in the drivers seat it sounds like its coming from the passenger side and then when you sit in the passenger side ... well you get the idea. I have gone go far as to get someone to drive it and have gotten in the back seat... when there, it sounds like it is coming from the drivers seat area. but I cannot locate it.
I have gone to one garage and 2 dealerships. The first place said that it was my sway bar bushings. I didn't buy it and the dealer said they were fine. The dealer then said it was the door seals and he spayed them. I told him that I had already done that.... of course the squeak was still there ( I have lubed, and spayed every hinge, joint, hole in that jeep). Needless to say the squeak was still there. That dealer took two days (the second was free as they told me it was fixed and it wasn't, I fought and had them try again without charging me)
So, they checked the suspension and said there was nothing wrong and even spayed the usual suspects. No good, the squeak is going strong and I'm going to pull my hair out and now have 4 cans of various products sitting at the ready in the off chance that I can locate it and spray it in time to save my sanity.
It kind of comes and goes. Some days its horrible others not so bad or not even there (lately these days are few and far between)
When I was at the in laws I used the garage and installed my evic, also I spayed everything I could in the interior. It was gone at this point for a day or two. I actually thought that I had gotten the noise. But it may have been a coincidence as it has been dormant for a few days before.
So my question is this. Are there any usual suspects that I should try and hit? Anyone have any ideas ( turning up the radio only makes for squeaky music).
Help!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but I wonder if the squeak is the windshield cracking. Get it replaced and tell us if it's still there. Good luck:D!

lbeothuckl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the windshield has been on my mind since it happened. I would say the squeak started that day, at least it was noticed that day. I have never heard of that before. I'm an archaeologist and drive company trucks on dirt roads constantly. Every one of these trucks has a cracked windshield (I'm talking at least 10 different trucks) and none of them has made this noise.
One other thing is that my boss has a dodge 1500 which makes the noise too, although not as bad as mine.....
I'm going to take the dash out this weekend and see if I can locate it, if not we'll see what the new glass does.

lbeothuckl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the windshield has been replaced and the squeak is still there. One odd thing I noticed is that the squeak goes away (for a while) after I wash it.
I'm at a loss...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the windshield has been replaced and the squeak is still there. One odd thing I noticed is that the squeak goes away (for a while) after I wash it.
I'm at a loss...

So why would the squeek go away when the jeep is wet?? That is strange unless the water is somehow temporarily lubing something until it dries off?? ......I know....that is a stretch.

Do you spray it underneith when you wash it?? Are you sure they sprayed everything underneith that moves with lubricant at the dealer??

Just thinking out loud here trying to help.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Door seals,mainly the seals on the side of the windshield that seals against the front doors,would explain why it goes away fro awhile when wet.Clean the door seals with silicone spray,leave a very light residue to help lube them.

The KJ is a unibody vehicle and like all unibody vehicle the front windshield is a major structural member of the vehicle,mainly the roof,and a crack in it will allow more body movement that can cuase sqeaks and other problems over time.

lbeothuckl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why would the squeek go away when the jeep is wet?? That is strange unless the water is somehow temporarily lubing something until it dries off?? ......I know....that is a stretch.

Do you spray it underneith when you wash it?? Are you sure they sprayed everything underneith that moves with lubricant at the dealer??

Just thinking out loud here trying to help.

Dave

I thought the same thing. beyond that I have no clue. Trust me I appreciate the help!

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to side with tjkj and say to clean and lubricate the door seals. I was going to suggest the sunroof seal, since I hear a lot of that in my profession and it's an easy thing to check. Door seals, same sort of thing. They both have a silicone coating that's sprayed on after the rubber is extruded, and the coating wears off over time which causes the rubber to squeak against the paint.

You don't have to buy any fancy silicone lubricant - spray some WD-40 onto your fingertips and wipe it on to the (cleaned) seal.

One other thing - check to see if your rear-view mirror is loose, and tighten up the set screw if needed.

Anything else that may be windshield-related, you don't want to hear about, because you can't fix it without pulling the glass (again).

-Andy

Sparky

Reaction score
Any update? My money is on one of the seats. I noticed in my '07 at times on really bumpy roads the drivers seat squeaks.

>M<

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Bah...just get a louder stereo, that hides all those annoying squeaks and you get good sounding tunes too. :p

Plastic dash squeaks can be a pain in the a**, you can hunt for a long time to find them.

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at body panels...You said that it goes away when you wash it... Look where the fenders are close to the body. Look everywhere around the fenders and hood... Maybe the back gate as well. there is a foam product at the bottom of the fenders try looking there. Try to tighten the seat bolts, better yet take the bolts out and lube them up with anti sieze, then tighten them. SQUEEKS DRIVE ME NUTS TOO!!!! I sPray the underside very liberally with WD40 everytime I wash the Jeep, this makes mud easier to remove plus it lubricates everything underneath!

lbeothuckl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for he help guys, Sorry about the huge delay in response. The squeak is still there. I have tried everything suggested but nothing. Washing dosen't take care of it anymore. I thought I had it isolated to the driver side rear tire area. I did this by washing it in sections until it stopped. Once I washed that spot it would stop for a week. This time it does nothing and its much worse. I'm just going to wait till it goes so bad that it can be found easy. well thats hoping anyway