Spun out today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...luckily no one was hurt. I had my 6 1/2 year old daughter in the car with me, though, so I'm really concerned.

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade. I had the "Frankenlift" (2.5") done at All J Products in Big Bear a few years ago.

I am currently running P245/75 R16 Firestone Destination A/T's on her. They have "decent" tread left on them, but I can see needing to replace them within the next year or so.

However, with this spin out tonight, I'm thinking of replacing them now. I have recently moved up to Big Bear Lake, CA. We got about 3 inches of snow the other day, overlaying a sheet of ice. It's all melting off now, and the patch I hit tonight looked like slush initially. It totally caught me by surprise.

We were not going all that fast, either. I'd estimate we were going 25mph or so when we started spinning. The road conditions were mostly dry exposed pavement, with occasional patches of slushy snow or icy spots.

We hit this spot on a slight curve.

Anyway, two questions for you folks:

1. What would be the best A/T tire for my stock rims? (Good in snow/ice/gravel/mud, but also "decent" on pavement.)

2. Since I'm messing with the tires/wheels anyway, what (if any) advantages are there to getting the Rubicon "Moab" rims, vs. the stock wheels? AND, if I got those, what would be the best tire to run?

I tried rooting around in the threads here, and some of the sticky's, but I haven't found anything specific that answers these questions for me.

Thanks!

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes things just happen. Condition's seem to have been more of an issue than tires, driving. But if you are uncomfortable now with the tires changing them will be the best for your peace of mind
I have a lifted KK and stock size AT tires. Because I live on dirt roads I feel a more aggressive tire would throw to much gravel. I like steel rims, but have not changed mine yet.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stay with the stock wheels , aftermarket or MOABs wouldn't help you any really
Are you used to driving on snowy/icy roads if not then it takes some getting used to
Look for a tire with snowflake designation on them
The Duratracs I've been running do great in snow for example and come in the 245-75-16 size

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ +1

Grab a set of A/T tires that are snowflake rated. They are rated to perform "well" in severe winter weather. Not as good as a winter tire of course but still pretty good. New wheels...well that's only an aesthetic choice. Duratracs, BFG A/T's, SilentArmor are a few out there with the flake I know of.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Glad your both OK!

Can't comment on any tire but the Silent Armor in nasty weather, would buy again. I haven't had the Duratracs long enough to comment but I did buy them for the same reasons you have.

As Cherrie said ... sometimes no tire in the world will save you .. when the right combination of factors are present.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will bet that the combination of going around a curve at the exact time you hit the ice was a major factor. Ice is tough to get good traction on. But if your tires are worn past your comfort level just change them. Sometimes tires might have enough tread on them to be ************ but in the meantime they have lost a lot of their traction abilities. Tires are the only thing keeping you on the road other than proper throttle pressure and you said you slowed down so I think you should replace the tires with good A/T's.

Just my opinion from what you said.

Glad no one was hurt.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As tires age they get harder as well
so worn down
harder tread
inexperience in driving on snow and ice
road conditions
all contribute to a slide

Tinkrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote (The road conditions were mostly dry exposed pavement, with occasional patches of slushy snow or icy spots.

What was the temperature? If it was 32 or just arround 32 you probably had your first encounter with BLACK ICE it looks like dry pavement, till it spins you arround.

I don't know of any tires that will help with Black Ice, You just have to slow down.

I've had the slidiing all over the road experience, stepped out, on the dry looking pavement, to see if I had I tire going down and fell flat on my face then slid off to the side of the road.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all!

I have driven in snow before, but not that often. Usually, if there is significant snow coverage, I'll employ 4HI. That's what was weird, was that the snow actually fell last Friday, and has been melting off. Most of the road literally is dry and snow-free. There are just occasional spots that don't get as much sunlight.

This particular stretch of road is in a wooded area, and this was around dusk, so I estimate the temperature could have been below freezing. We're at a little over 7,000ft elevation, here.

The spin out scared me, and has given me a greater respect for snow. I'll take it slower in the future, or use 4 wheel drive. I just try not to employ 4 wheel drive on dry pavement...it's caused problems in the past. (Had to replace the spider gears in my rear diff...)

Regardless of the spin, I was slipping and sliding a lot more than I thought I should have - even on just regular old slushy snow. I think new tires are in my future...thanks for the "snow flake" tip.

I contemplated getting "snow tires" when we moved up here, expecting to be dealing with snow/icy conditions. But a friend who has lived up here for a while said, "It doesn't matter what you have, the Highway Patrol will require chains whenever they see fit.

I do have a set of chains. I just didn't have them on at the time because of the mostly snow-free condition of the roads. (And there were no posted restrictions...)

BTW, I know the "Moab" rim question probably seemed unrelated, but I was just thinking that since I'm likely going to replace the tires, perhaps I would just pick up a set of those with tires already on them (available locally from "All J Products"), and simply swap them out for the season. (Keep the stock wheels in the garage.)

I was in contact with them today. They have a set of 5 of the "smooth sides" in excellent condition, in stock for $750. Heather wasn't clear if that included the tires. (Mud Terrains...not sure what brand.)

Of course, that brings up another issue...I've heard that M/T's are NOT good for snow/ice, as you have less of a contact patch?

I would think they would bite in actual snow? I can see how they might not do well on ice, but it seems like nothing will...except perhaps skates! :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
"Good" tires go way further than anything else as far as driving in snowy and icy conditions.
M/Ts are not that good on snow covered roads, you need a tire with lots of siping in the tread.
And yes you do not want to run in 4 wheel drive on just wet roads unless you have a T-case designed to do so.
I hardly ever run mine even if the roads are fully covered with snow, no need to since I run good tires and drive for the conditions
750 for Moabs now WOW quite a bit of money

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in contact with them today. They have a set of 5 of the "smooth sides" in excellent condition, in stock for $750. Heather wasn't clear if that included the tires. (Mud Terrains...not sure what brand.)

Of course, that brings up another issue...I've heard that M/T's are NOT good for snow/ice, as you have less of a contact patch?

I would think they would bite in actual snow? I can see how they might not do well on ice, but it seems like nothing will...except perhaps skates! :D

MT will work in snow no problem, its the lack of siping (ie the little cuts in the blocks of the tire) that is problematic on ice. If your so inclined, studs solve that issue quick(check state laws concerning use of studs and seasonal requirements)

as for requiring chains in another post. I'd rather have real snow tires anyday. We are frozen for 5 months a year here and nobody except the plow run chains.

5 moabs @ 150 a piece seems steep but it depends upon how bad you want them. I'd do it but canadians are used to getting gouged.