Spring Help...........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Wonder if anyone can help me out. Just had a factory recall about the Upper ball joint and control arms on my 2002 Petrol Liberty. The long and short of it is that they are going to fit new UCA's free of charge so I thought about getting them to swap the springs while they are out. My question is - Bearing in mind my 2002 is prelowered - Do I go for factory springs or would the diesel ones make it sit a bit higher. (Or would the factory replacement ones be shorter now to make them sit a bit lower?) My Jeep has got nearly 70k miles on so I guess the front springs will be absolutely knackered even though it sits quite well. I would just like another inch or so of height and can't afford the full lift kit etc and we struggle to get ome stuff over here. Been on the internet all afternoon and cant find anything in the uk! Unless another brit knows somewhere? Thanks Guys, Hope I get more answers than my spotlight question did a few lines down!! Hehe :smokin:

(Sorry, I posted this in the lift thread by mistake to start with! Doh!!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You would get the lowered (shorter) springs....I think the shorter ones completely replaced the longer ones back in 02.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct if you order springs even for your 02 they are going to be the same as 03 and later. CRD springs may give you some height. You know that they will charge you for doing it since they do not have to remove the spring to install the new UCA's. Less than an hour to install them where as to install your new springs they will more than likely charge you two to three hours knowing most places

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx Guys,
Guess it would be a waste of time and money going for the proper springs then. Might even sit lower if they supply shorter springs now!! And thanks Tommudd, yes I am aware that they will charge extra for doing the springs but winter is rapidly approaching now and not the weather for doing things like spring changes outside. We can get all four seasons in one day here at the moment! Hehe. Maybe I will leave the springs till next year which will give me plenty of time to see about importing some from the states. Anybody know the difference in length between the petrol and diesel springs? And I assume it will be a harsher ride as well? And yes Tom, Your not seeing double. Yoe did see it in the lift kit discussion forum! User error! Sorry. Hehe. Thanks Guys, Your advice is much appreciated as usual. Cheers, Steve :smokin:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump...........

I tried to get some prices from JBA but he just wants to sell me some fully adjustable units for 1500 Dollars! Nice but out of my price range. Anybody else fitted CRD springs to a petrol or would anyone like to hazard a guess about how much higher it would sit? Or would I get the same effect from fitting some 3.7 V6 springs on mine bearing in mind it is just the 2.4. I noticed today while cleaning it that the front drive shafts are angled downwards which I assume is another point that the springs are knackered? Should they sit perfectly horizontal? Come on you spring gurus! Help a confused Brit! Hehe. Cheers, Steve