Speedo quit on me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I went in to work today and it was working fine. I come home from work and now it doesn't work. No CEL or other dash lights, nothing out of the ordinary just the speedo doesn't work.

Now my question is could it be something with the tone ring? Or a speed sensor or something else?

I didn't notice any changes or anything of how it drove is it ok for me to leave it as is and use a gps as a speedo? I know other components rely on the speedo working properly so this option probably wouldn't be happening

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your lucky its the sensor. Probably the wires that come off the sensor need fixed. Mine didnt work right after the diff swap. Apparently just unplugging and moving them can break them. What I've read suggests that water gets inside the wire covering and corrodes them then when they are moved contact is broken.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Criminy, from the thread title I was afraid it came off in the pool. :icon_eek:

I hope you get it sorted out soon. :cheers:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had a bad connection on the diff sensor the speedo stopped working.

After correcting the problem...the speedo still did not work for a while....took a few days of driving for it to start working again!

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had a bad connection on the diff sensor the speedo stopped working.

After correcting the problem...the speedo still did not work for a while....took a few days of driving for it to start working again!

How did you correct it?

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom gave me a link on a part # for the speed sensor connector & wires , I'll have to search for it. Mine started working again after a week or two. So its just a matter of time till I'll be replacing mine.

ARRGH! Sorry can't find it!

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you correct it?

Connector not plugged onto the diff sensor firmly...cleaned the contacts and plugged it firmly.

There is also a known problem of the leads going to the sensor chaffing on some components such as the cable for the emergency brake.

Last edited:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's ok John i can get a number from work and Hopefully that's what my problem is Bill

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a pretty common problem. I'm assuming it's the speed sensor in the rear diff housing or the wiring to it. The wiring was put in a bad spot and the parking brake cable rubs on it causing a short. Even if the wires look ok they may not be.

It rewired from the body grommet out on the sensor wires and relocated them to a safer spot. It's a quick 20 min easy fix. Then get the rear speed sensor. Putting it in is simply removing 1 small bolt, pull the sensor, put new one in, tighten bolt, and plug in the wiring.

It's really an easy job and a cheap repair. I did the whole job in about 45 min including jacking and wheels off/on.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so can anyone tell me how to get the plug off and the sensor out? The plug will not unplug, and the sensor doesn't want to pull out either. Is it threaded in? And could my plug be stuck?

EDIT: I know there is a bolt there I already took it off

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plug had one of those red locking tabs in it.. might need to twist the sensor a little to break the seal before you can pull it out

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got a P0500 code last night so now I do have a CEL for no speed sensor signal.

Does this narrow the problem down any?

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just popped out on my 03. I think a flat blade screwdriver may have been used under the tab for the bolt.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I'd bet money on the wires, did some reading on the subject. Seems water likes to find its way into the wiring there and corrode it. Just moving the wires can mess up the connection if corroded inside.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure its just the vss since i checked over the wiring and all is well no cracks or splits or anythig

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure its just the vss since i checked over the wiring and all is well no cracks or splits or anythig

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter
When mine went the wires broke inside the connector,you could not see any connection problems until I broke the connector off the end and saw the wire not connected to one of the pins.The pins are locked in the connector so no movement.

I just soldered the wires directly to the speed sensor pins and filled in the area with RTV.Never had a issue ever again.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine went the wires broke inside the connector,you could not see any connection problems until I broke the connector off the end and saw the wire not connected to one of the pins.The pins are locked in the connector so no movement.

I just soldered the wires directly to the speed sensor pins and filled in the area with RTV.Never had a issue ever again.

See I can't even seem to get the connector off the sensor for some reason, it's like frozen on