Spark Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomknight

Reaction score
Just changed the plugs on this new to me Liberty. I was really surprised at how easy the coils are to remove.

Had to move the coolant tank and the air hose to get to a few of them, but overall a pretty easy deal.

I was wondering - do spark plug gaps degrade?

The ones I pulled out were all gapped at .065, with one at .055.

I gapped the new ones at .040 per the sticker in the engine bay. Sure runs better now.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends upon how long they were in there. When I changed mine after I got it they were worn pretty much back to the bend! I was amazed it even ran. So yes they will "wear" and should be changed (plain old copper core) every 25-30k.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my plugs today for the first time since I got my Libby, and I too can attest that gaps can seriously degrade. My old plugs were at nearly .08 and the center electrode was nearly level with the insulator. Cool thing about the new coil packs I installed...they have a flexible washer on the shaft that covers the plug well and keeps junk from getting down there.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just changed my plugs today for the first time since I got my Libby, and I too can attest that gaps can seriously degrade. My old plugs were at nearly .08 and the center electrode was nearly level with the insulator. Cool thing about the new coil packs I installed...they have a flexible washer on the shaft that covers the plug well and keeps junk from getting down there.

My plugs were just like that when I got my KJ with about 80k on it. I think they were still the originals!!! :Insane:

What brand of coil packs did you use?

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Ultra-Power's from Rock-Auto. I almost got some cool solar yellow ones from Ebay, but they were over twice the price, so....nah.

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to replace the plugs which I do every two years and considering replacing the coils. The OEM are outrageously priced but I see other brands that I can buy six for considerably less and like to have some recommendations.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am about to replace the plugs which I do every two years and considering replacing the coils. The OEM are outrageously priced but I see other brands that I can buy six for considerably less and like to have some recommendations.

OEM are outrageous??
NGK are not that much at all, either them or Champions , just the copper core is all. 12-14 bucks is it
Autolite coppers here are 1.99 each even so 12 bucks for them. Most prefer the NGK or Champion coppers though
Every two years? Wow must not drive very much do you?

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Are you saying the OEM plugs are outrageous or the coils?

NGK plugs are cheap (if you get the copper core - the only ones that should go in this engine) but I haven't priced coils - yet. They should probably be changed along with the injectors.

Bob

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the misunderstanding I should have been clearer in my statement. I was referring to the OEM coils being over the top. I did not consider the injectors. I need to research the replacement and installation.

I did find info on the injectors but it seems to be a premature unless I have overlooked something.

https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/how-to-select-the-right-fuel-injectors

My Toy still runs like a top but once in a while ECU goes nuts.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the misunderstanding I should have been clearer in my statement. I was referring to the OEM coils being over the top. I did not consider the injectors. I need to research the replacement and installation.

I did find info on the injectors but it seems to be a premature unless I have overlooked something.

https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/how-to-select-the-right-fuel-injectors

My Toy still runs like a top but once in a while ECU goes nuts.

If coils then don't as in DO NOT go for those cheap ones
Spend the money and get the best you can
Someone gave me some almost new coils from one of the ****zones or somewhere. I needed to switch mine out one day and thought I'd use them, couple of months I was changing them out for good OEM coils , no more issues

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got OEM Mopar on eBay for not so much $$. They've been perfect.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changed the plugs on the old 2002 hunt camp KJ. Electrodes were completely gone and the gap was ginormous!!!!! Amazing she was still running pretty good. Back passenger side plug was oil soaked so I assume it wasn't firing or the rings are shot in that cylinder. Besides guzzling huge amounts of oil, she still runs pretty good and will hopefully make it a few more deer seasons. Was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to change the plugs in a KJ. I'm used to removing the upper intake manifold, contorting my body in crazy positions and being sore for 2 days after a spark plug change.:)