Spare key problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I tried to use my spare key this morning...and it's just a key, no unlock/lock buttons...went to start it, it started and just died!! Did that a few more times and then wouldnt even turn over!! So I finally located my regular keys..left in my parents car..got them and started it right up!! So I checked the spare again..no start! :shrug: Whats up with that??? Does that spare need to be programed??

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I tried to use my spare key this morning...and it's just a key, no unlock/lock buttons...went to start it, it started and just died!! Did that a few more times and then wouldnt even turn over!! So I finally located my regular keys..left in my parents car..got them and started it right up!! So I checked the spare again..no start! :shrug: Whats up with that??? Does that spare need to be programed??

Does it have a grey head/handle on it?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal.If it's not a transponder key or programmed it will start the engine but it will shut off after 2-3 seconds.

You can program a spare(the correct one) if you already have 2 keys programmed,if not then off to the dealership.

user113

Reaction score
Look in the "SENTRY KEY IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM" in the owner's manual. Says you can program a blank key yourself if you have two valid keys, but I was not able to get it to work on mine (2005 Liberty Limited CRD). Another thing, about a programmed "skim" key, while it will start the ignition and run, it won't disarm the "SECURITY ALARM SYSTEM" when using the key to unlock the door. When you open the door after unlocking with the skim key, the alarm sounds until you insert the key into the ignition and turn it to have it read. PITA.

Latest posts

Members online