So, today sucked pretty bad! ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if it never overheated the head(s) should be fine right? Just would need new springs and retainers then? What actually broke? I either missed that part or wasn't mentioned. If you dropped a valve seat then yes you would need the machine shop, but what actually happened?

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if it never overheated the head(s) should be fine right? Just would need new springs and retainers then? What actually broke? I either missed that part or wasn't mentioned. If you dropped a valve seat then yes you would need the machine shop, but what actually happened?

I assume the heads are ok. I may still replace them as opposed to machining though...it will depend on cost. But the way I look at it, I'm paying for a lot of labor to have everything re-built and machined...plus the time it will take waiting for the parts to be sent out to a machine shop. I've already been getting rides to work for a week, so I really need to get it back soon. It may end up being not that much more to replace them with new heads. The parts will be more than machining, but I would also save a good amount of labor. The shop is going to get back to me with solid prices and options once they get the head off and really get into the engine to see the extent of the damage.

As far as what happened...I don't know for sure yet. I have no compression in clyinder #1. They said it is likely that the valve is stuck open, or the seat dropped. There's still a possibility that I will need a new engine if it dropped and wrecked a piston. I really hope that's not the case...if it is, you might see a new thread " '06 KJ parts for sale" soon.

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really hope that's not the case...if it is, you might see a new thread " '06 KJ parts for sale" soon.

Wow that's bad news to say the least, here's hoping everything works out and you don't need to part with your ride...looks like you've put a lot of good work in hect...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Well that inspires some confidence. Thanks! How much was a new head from the dealer?

Sorry I didn't answer earlier... traveling.

I didn't replace the head, I had it rebuilt. There's a local guy by me that works out of our local NAPA who does the work in-house. He guarantees his machining work for life... so if it happens again, he'll fix/replace it.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't answer earlier... traveling.

I didn't replace the head, I had it rebuilt. There's a local guy by me that works out of our local NAPA who does the work in-house. He guarantees his machining work for life... so if it happens again, he'll fix/replace it.

No worries. Looks like I'll be going that route as well. I looked into doing new heads ($3400) and my mechanic told me that they're not actually new. They're re-manufactured and that doesn't guarantee that the springs are new.

It has been confirmed that the valve spring did fail and also put a hole through the valve cover. Right now the plan is a valve job, replace all springs, and rebuild existing heads. Hopefully that route will be less than $2600...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries. Looks like I'll be going that route as well. I looked into doing new heads ($3400) and my mechanic told me that they're not actually new. They're re-manufactured and that doesn't guarantee that the springs are new.

It has been confirmed that the valve spring did fail and also put a hole through the valve cover. Right now the plan is a valve job, replace all springs, and rebuild existing heads. Hopefully that route will be less than $2600...
For about that price you can get a remaned engine with a warranty.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For about that price you can get a remaned engine with a warranty.

This is true, but unfortunately I can't put in a new engine myself...don't have the equipment or experience. If it weren't for the cost of labor, I would be all over a new engine...maybe even a 4.7L, but that's definitely not cheap.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally some good news! Got an update from the shop today, they got the heads off, no internal damage to the pistons etc...and, the head is ok! no machining required. One spring failed, wrecked a valve, rocker arm, and shot a hole through the valve cover...

so replacing damaged parts, new springs and seals all around, and I should have it back next week. It'll still by no means be cheap due to all the labor...but much better than anticipated. :banana-mario::badger_1::party36:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as bad as you thought. That's good news for sure.

Dave

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great news! Good to know you'll be out wheeling in a few days and still have $'s left for Christmas. :signs1:

Do you know which cylinder it was? Curious to know if it was #2...

Bob

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great news! Good to know you'll be out wheeling in a few days and still have $'s left for Christmas. :signs1:

Do you know which cylinder it was? Curious to know if it was #2...

Bob

yea hopefully...the springs are apparently back ordered so it'll take a few extra days, but the end is in sight. It was cylinder #1

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine was #2, passenger side bank. Good to hear you're getting it back soon! :)

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Jeep is home! :icon_biggrin:
And it was only $2755.98, and just shy of three weeks in the shop...awesome.

all new valve springs and seals
valve cover
new intake valve
new rocker arm
head gaskets and bolts
thermostat, upper/lower hoses
radiator flush
spark plugs
serpentine belt
fluids
19 hours of labor

I really hope Libby knows how much I love her!

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got er back. Here's hoping for a long time before you need to dish out any more loot...unless it's for good stuff and not repairs!

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks...hopefully no more major issues.
today, the day after I get it back I'm adjusting my side mirrors and they stop working...at least that should be pretty cheap and easy...still ****** me off

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wicked pissed right now!!
It has been almost exactly 3,000 miles since I spent $2800 on the upper engine rebuild after a valve spring broke. Today I'm driving home doing about 50...out of nowhere, starts running rough. Check engine light starts flashing again! :favorites68:

As soon as the light flashed, I pulled over, hit the flashers and shut it down. Of course, it has to happen on a really busy road...right after the blizzard, so there's no shoulder at all...basically parked in the travel lane as far over as I could get. I checked my phone to get my exact location for the tow truck and saw there's a dead end side street just ahead. As soon as traffic cleared, I started it up...kept the flashers on and crawled about 100ft into this little side street. Call for a tow....and they say "it's gonna be about 2 hours because we're jammed right now...try to stay warm." O boy, thanks! Thankfully, they showed up in a little over an hour. Started it up to get it behind the tow truck...still running rough, but at least the light was solid now instead of flashing. Tried to get codes, but key trick wouldn't work....So got towed back to the shop that did the rebuild on it. Seriously! What the hell!? :mad3: :shrug:

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn seems that they still forgot something while fixing it for the second time...Have it check somewhere else and make them do the repair under warranty maybe?