So I took the KJ in for the recall...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One big mis-conception is that removing a lugnut can make it strip,totally false(I know it does not apply to the OP),it was crossthreaded when put on last.

Now Have I broken wheels studs before? Yep but only taking them off from other idiots crossthreading them before me.I use my IR Titanium impact to remove lugnuts,it's always on the lowest setting which is about 400lbs-ft of torque.I always start every lugnut by hand and at least 5-6 threads and zip them the rest of the way on with my Snapon cordless electric impact.With a fresh battery and my flip socket my electric impact will only tighten them to 80lbs-ft unless I rap on them for over 5 seconds,verified on a test machine,and most vehicles have at least a 80lbs-ft lugnut torque.Then I lower the vehicle and use a calibrated Snapon torque wrench set at the OEM specified torque for the vehicle.Then they all get re-torqued by another person.The last 2 steps are company policy and must have 2 sign-offs for wheel torque.

Never had a issue yet.

I agree with your procedure 100%. I follow the same procedure on my personal vehicles, except for less expensive impact and torque wrenches. I always torque them down once, and then go back again later to recheck, usually after going in to clean up. I don't know why, but I always ask myself "did you torque them down?". I know I did, but I ALWAYS go back and check again. I guess its better to be **** than to have a wheel come loose.

Bruce

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I hade to drill out a lug after we bought our KJ, they were way to tight and i rounded off the lug after the socket slipped and that was the easiest way to get it off without wheel damage.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last summer for two weeks my wheels squeeked while driving and i couldnt figure it out until one night it got so bad that it even felt like it was wobbling, so i pulled over and found that the lugs were so loose on my front tire that i could hand turn them. if i didnt stop i guarantee i wouldnt have gone 5 miles till it fell off

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
And who was the last person to put those tires on?
Really best a have a fairly good torque wrench and go around every once in a while, especially after they have been off recently.
My Haynes states between 80-110 ft-lbs, what is every one here torquing them at?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^I torque mine to 100 with a 1/2" torque wrench. Now I will have to look it up when I get home to double check if I am doing it right.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
jeez.. that is more ft-lbs than the biggest Ram truck requirement.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya that was in the day when it was a 2 person job one to hold the socket on and the other to sit on the extension bar to torque it..!!:)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya that was in the day when it was a 2 person job one to hold the socket on and the other to sit on the extension bar to torque it..!!:)
A Ferrari Enzo requires it's 4 lugnuts(one per wheel) to be torqued to 485.5lbs-ft.

Or try a M800/M900 series military 5ton truck,the lugnuts are torqued to 600lbs-ft,30 left hand threads and 30 right hand threads.

Not wheel related but the MK48 front leaf spring u-bolt nuts are torqued to 3000lbs-ft,takes like a 4" socket.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.