So how about planning an East meets West trip...

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by Ry' N Jen, May 3, 2012.

1. Ry' N Jen

Ry' N Jen Banned

Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
    Well keep the two cents coming!
    I've got allot of work ahead of me.

2. HoosierJeeper

HoosierJeeper Gold Supporter/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Yeah it was Appleton. I've never been there...so thanks for the input!

3. Snail Farmer

Snail Farmer Full Access Member

Yeah I'll second that. Gilbert would be better than Appleton, but it's up close to lake superior to give you a geographic reference.

4. SabaII

SabaII Full Access Member

Worth a day or two trip though! I would not discourage anyone from going there but for a large group and guys driving a couple of days to get there, meh. :shrug:

~EDIT~ I would maybe recommend Gilbert as a back-up in case the date lands during Sturgis. Let me know the dates when they come and even though I will be having my wedding I can let the mn-jeep guys know and get a good trail guide there.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  5. seabass1858

seabass1858 Full Access Member

I hope im not in my special agent school by then hopfully ill be out and in virginia by july

6. sparkman70

sparkman70 Full Access Member

This sounds fun i hope it happens i would like to get off this rock in the summer time.

7. Ry' N Jen

Ry' N Jen Banned

Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

It's happening from our end. Jen and I are taking at least three weeks to go explore the U.S.
    We're hoping for a good turn out. It would be fun to finally meet some of the people here.

8. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

Only problem is it's 300 miles father west to the badlands then the eastern border of SD with MN.

9. herkj

herkj New Member

Been a 'local' for most of my life to the Gilbert OHV park. Currently im about 10 miles away.

Its a nice area. Interesting because the whole place is actually an old steel mine dump. Most of the rocks are blast rocks. Its very cool. That being said, I wheel their MAYBE twice a year... (Look up Mesabi Mountain ORV Trail on mn-jeep.com to see what my club has been doing for the last 2-3 years)

For a meet and greet it would be a nice area due to be able to travel from the park to a campground by a direct route. The campground is on a 'lake' called "Ore-Be-Gone" because its an old mine pit that is over 400 feet deep. Its actually the mine that the material thats currently the IROHVRA (Iron Range Off Highway Vehicle Rec Area).

I have done lots of work in the interior of the park from trail maintence to new trail construction. I would think that you could wheel for a solid day in the park with a stockish Jeep. Lots of hardcore stuff too..