So close!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help! Suspension noobe here. I'm trying to slip in a strut plate. I got a pair of boiler's plates and need just a little help. I can't get the whole wheel assembly to drop down far enough to clear the top mounting bolts so I can slip the plate in. I have the stabilizer linkage undone. What is holding it up? it goes down more when I push on it, but it springs back up. :confused:

Sorry about the dumb question.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The LCAs only have so much free range of travel. Get a long prybar, 2x4, the 12 year old neighbor kid, and wedge that in there and push it down with your newfound leverage.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still won't come down far enough. What all needs disconnected? Seems like tie rod is holding it back. You can call me an idiot you won't hurt my feelings.

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've undone the sway bar link, undo the lower ball joint and you may need to remove the lower clevis bolt as well(at least loosen it). Hit the lower arm where the ball joint goes through and it'll pop out after a few whacks. This will free the lower arm and suspension and let you drop the suspension down to insert the plate.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
WTH??
You DO NOT have to remove the lower ball joint!
Quickly here
Did you disconnect the UCA?
Did you disconnect the tie rod ends?
Did you disconnect the sway bar ends?
Did you take the clevis off of the bottom of the strut?
Did you remove the caliper?
all of those have to be removed to take the strut assembly down out to install the top spacer plate

Some people go to way too much trouble, its a very simple job really

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing 2 nuts(LBJ and sway bar) and 1 bolt(clevis) and everything is loose, that sounds like a lot less trouble than all of that ^. I discovered this procedure when looking at the FSM for removing the CV axles and it is certainly much easier, in my opinion, having done it both ways. Removing the caliper and tie rod ends and unbolting the UCA is completely unnecessary doing it the way I said.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well Spidey I like yours better, but I CANNOT get the lower ball joint out. I need a puller I think. I've quit for now. I put everything back together as it is getting too late for me. I have an 8 month old whom is teething. Real fun! :( Also my lovely wife is sick. Not the best of times right now. Instead of a 12 year old like TBJ suggests I have my 5 year old daughter. She's more capable than a lot of 12 year old I know. Anyways, I think the rusty bolts and nuts are discouraging me more than anything. It seems a lot harder than anyone tends to lead on. I'm not done, I'm just gonna have to wait until I have more time. So, should I go rent a puller or take everything apart like tommudd says?

On a side note, It looks level since I've had the front up in the air all day. I think the front springs had a chance to relax. I know however that once I drive down the street that won't be the case anymore.

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm my LBJs came out pretty easy, prob 5 good whacks to both sides, but the recall on them was only done 20k ago(when I first got the Jeep), so that probably helps. Undoing the UCA is an easy alternative I'd guess. PB blaster and a BFH always helps though, I dunno that I'd try a puller, may tear up the boot. Wish ya luck though, man.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ya don't neede any pullers at all who said you need pullers???

and I take everything I mentioned off due to the fact that its like 5 minutes to do and makes it way easier. But then hey I have only done about 12 or 13 plus had mine apart ten or twelve times so I know NOTHING :D:D:D:D

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OP said pullers, I've personally never needed them, just a BFH. And nobody is suggesting you don't know anything, I simply posted MY opinion on what was easiest for ME to do, I didn't say it was better than your way or the best way, just my personal opinion that those other steps are unnecessary, regardless of how long it may take you.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I know this has probably been said 10 million times in this thread by now

But what the heck are you doing disassembling the lower ball joint? Leave that alone, it's fragile enough as-is.

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, recalls got everyone afraid of their LBJs? It doesnt hurt anything popping the LBJ out of the lower arm. And maybe if soem of you would try it, you'd notice it is very easy to free up the lower arm this way and just eliminates a few extra steps when trying to remove or drop the shock/spring assembly.

And certainly a SAS would be nice, lol.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ok so its obvious I don't do this very much. So I am wanting to get the upper ball joint out. What exactly should I hit? Where is it safe to hit? Be specific as you can because other than knowing not to hit the bolt sideways I really have no clue. I hope I can get my ducks in a row and get this done this next weekend.

I read in the Service Manual (I have an 06 manual) that a puller could be used.
...and if I win the lottery I'll cough cough TJKJ :D will definitely be doing an SFA for me. Or someone who's willing.

Boiler

Reaction score
Best way to get that top plate in is to have Tommudd do it.:cool:

Seriously though, I can answer the rusty bolt thing. Every day this week give each nut and bolt a little spray wherever you can that might work its way into the threads. Then if you have one that is overly rusty, spray it, start taking the nut off, spray the other side of the nut, work the nut back on. Rinse and repeat til you have some PB blaster in the threads.

Just putting the breaker bar on and forcing them off is a great way to break stuff. Trust me on this, I speak from experience.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way to get that top plate in is to have Tommudd do it.:cool:

Seriously though, I can answer the rusty bolt thing. Every day this week give each nut and bolt a little spray wherever you can that might work its way into the threads. Then if you have one that is overly rusty, spray it, start taking the nut off, spray the other side of the nut, work the nut back on. Rinse and repeat til you have some PB blaster in the threads.

Just putting the breaker bar on and forcing them off is a great way to break stuff. Trust me on this, I speak from experience.

I'll give it a try. I'm gonna stop and get some PB blaster. who carries it? everyone?\

...oh and I guess that's why its called a "breaker bar". haha

Last edited: