Snorkel vs Radio Antenna on 07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I can't help it...I really enjoy watching folks do stuff the hard way on youtube...

Anyway, got me a shiny new snorkel kit on the way from Poland...its going through customs on the east coast as I write. I have observed some pretty crazy ways to deal with the radio antenna from just snipping it off to bending it a zip tying it to the upper arm. I'd prefer to keep the antenna intact as I'm old enough I actually use the radio. (Car-Talk on NPR for Sunday morning drives anyone?)

Checked out a few options from replacement to a stubby to relocation. Figured I'd see if anyone around here had input. I'm not keen on relocation as I have a few projects I'd prefer to finish first before deciding on pulling the interior apart again.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But you have to remove the antenna don't you to install the snorkel
or bend the heck out of it

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you incorporate the antenna into the snorkel? I'd have to be more familiar with the snorkel and how it mounts in relation to the antenna, but seems you could get creative.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I was considering getting creative with clips or ties, or even swapping it out for metal film laminate. Will be interesting either way

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are not shy about using a chassis punch to put a hole in the Jeep, (and I doubt you are), you could relocate the antenna anywhere.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if you could drill a hole in the A pillar and have it run parallel/along the snorkel. You should have enough length of existing cable for that move.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I’ve no issues cutting holes…may have mad a few extra installing the exterior lights.

I’ll probably just bent it along the snorkel for now. Might just delete it in the future.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve no issues cutting holes…may have mad a few extra installing the exterior lights.

I’ll probably just bent it along the snorkel for now. Might just delete it in the future.
I think you may change your mind once you install the snorkel
The way the snorkel sits does not allow the antennae to be bend without looking really out of place and hacked up
unless the one you are getting is completely different somehow

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Ah, I see. The one I purchased is a Czechia made nock-off of the Safari from a 4wd place in Poland. I had tried to get one directly from the maker a few weeks back, but they quit making them. Did some online detective work and found this seller. A bit more work and discovered I could save 100$ by purchasing it though eBay and leveraged the currency exchange to get the entire kit including shipping and customs for 225$. Took timing and negotiation, but worked!

Also learned that to find KJ parts it is better to search for “Cherokee III”

There’s a company in Czechia that makes really nice skid plates too, but they are closed while the owner plays snowbird.

Lots of Google translate to find cool stuff that can’t be had in the US!

dutch

Reaction score
I can't help it...I really enjoy watching folks do stuff the hard way on youtube...

Anyway, got me a shiny new snorkel kit on the way from Poland...its going through customs on the east coast as I write. I have observed some pretty crazy ways to deal with the radio antenna from just snipping it off to bending it a zip tying it to the upper arm. I'd prefer to keep the antenna intact as I'm old enough I actually use the radio. (Car-Talk on NPR for Sunday morning drives anyone?)

Checked out a few options from replacement to a stubby to relocation. Figured I'd see if anyone around here had input. I'm not keen on relocation as I have a few projects I'd prefer to finish first before deciding on pulling the interior apart again.

dutch

Reaction score
I'm an old custom car guy and hated the antenna where it was. I removed it, found a junk yard emblem that matches the driver side and installed it over the hole in fender left by removing antenna.
I then installed the antenna under the dash. I live within the metro area of Kansas City and pick up all the stations I want, both am/fm.

Latest posts

Members online