Smoke from under hood and through vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlicata

Reaction score
My 04' is going through a good amount of oil it seems, and is now smoking from under the hood. It also blows the smoke in to the cab when the heat is on.
I looked down through the hood and there is no evidence of oil at first, but when I look up through the bottom of the engine bay, there's oil all over the place- on both sides of the block and a lot near the steering rack. I need some insight on whether this is leaking valve covers or something more...

It also does not appear to be blowing blue smoke from the exhaust pipe

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check valve cover gaskets. The right side at the back corner seems to be a common leak point. Like turblediesel said, drips right down on the exhaust near the O2 sensor.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A good way to tell if it is the valve cover gaskets is to run a paper towel around/under the covers at rear sides & see if it is wet with oil.
A lot near the steering rack- hmm...near the oil filter?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like 2 leaky valve cover gaskets. My jeep had leaky valve cover gaskets as well, nothing wakes you up more then smelling burning oil in the morning.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always read the oil pressure sensor just above the oil filter is bad to leak. That may be the only thing thats not leaking on my 04...