Slow oil leak near front driveshaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all - I've been doing a lot of routine maintenance in my Jeep lately (03 KJ Limited with 170k miles) with the hopes of getting another solid 10k miles out if it before moving on. It runs amazingly well. However, I do have a nagging oil leak (not enough to require more oil during normal OCI).

I have recently replaced both valve cover gaskets and thoroughly degreased the engine bay. I will swap in a new oil pressure sensor as mine is original and based on the block area immediately surrounding it, is slowly leaking. But, I have a separate leak, I believe, that is more towards the back of the engine bay. When idling I get a bit of smoke from the driver's side cat from oil dripping on it. The area near the oil pan just adjacent to the front driveshaft head (front part) has some oil on it. The oil pan itself does appears fine. Would this be indicative of a rear main seal leak?

It isn't a big issue at all - I just hate leaving drops of oil on the driveway and the smoking at idle.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt it would find it's way to any exhaust components if leaking at the rear main seal. There is a support/inspection plate on the bottom of the block where it meets the bellhousing. You could remove it and maybe you can see if oil is coming from the rear main seal. I just changed mine while the motor was out and the factory rear seal was bone dry with 179k on it.