slow loss of coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 6+ months? I'd say normal for the most part if the pressure cap was messed up.Any cooling pressure test kit will come with the adapter to test our caps.

I think so. Definitely a few months.

d'oh! I didn't think to test the cap.....
bah.... i've returned the loaner tool.
x.x

so I noticed some water that came out of the tail pipe at start up later today after everything was buttoned up. No white smoke.
I didn't feel and smell like coolant. condensation??
It hasn't rained down here at all for a while.
Is this a sign of a HG issue?

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's a picture of the old rad. cap.
Arrows point to the two cracks.

You must be registered for see images

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think so. Definitely a few months.

d'oh! I didn't think to test the cap.....
bah.... i've returned the loaner tool.
x.x

so I noticed some water that came out of the tail pipe at start up later today after everything was buttoned up. No white smoke.
I didn't feel and smell like coolant. condensation??
It hasn't rained down here at all for a while.
Is this a sign of a HG issue?
Your engine is a big air compressor and will produce and expel water and water vapor out the tail pipe,more noticeable 1st startup in the morning.H2O is part of the emissions coming out of the tail pipe also.

here's a picture of the old rad. cap.
Arrows point to the two cracks.

Yeah I'd say your whole issue was that cap from looking at that pic.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Blackstone.

Thanks a lot for the note. If there's a coolant leak, then one current sample should be enough to tell you whether the coolant is getting into the oil. Note: we like to see samples with at least about 1,000 miles on them, if possible. If you send a sample on a very short interval, then maybe coolant wouldn't have had time to accumulate enough to show up in our tests.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice that they only require one! Guess they can compare to averages.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice that they only require one! Guess they can compare to averages.

Yeah. I've been looking at their reports, I think they have standard averages to compare with.

I'll be including as much information about my vehicle, oil, and any extra additive I used.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the blackstone kit today. All packaged up and ready to be shipped off on monday. I'll keep ya'll posted.

looks like shipping is covered by them but i know they just recently increased their testing fee.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just received the report today. Darn Valvoline. I use that to top up my oil.
I suppose if the new coolant reservoir cap fixes the problem then I'm good.

This is with FRAM high mileage oil filter + Mobil 1 High Mi. Full Synthetic + 1 quart Valvoline High Mi. Synthetic blend in the middle of my 3500 OIC.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The leak exhibited itself.
The base of the reservoir neck where the metal meets the plastic.
Build up of white crud around it.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I think some JB weld should do it for now until I can get to the pick a part yard.
Have a few things my kj needs.

Slagree92

Reaction score
Hey everybody, sorry to butt in but this seemed like the most appropriate thread.

I recently have identified what was a very slow leak from a very shoddy coolant reservoir cap, and replaced it.

Within a day or two of replacing the cap I come out to find a coolant leak along the bottom of the front bumper, and an empty reservoir. upon under hood inspection I couldn't find much of a mess that may indicate a leaky hose or water pump failure. the bulk of the coolant I found under the hood is located on the driver side near the headlight and side of the radiator, with virtually no overspray back towards the power steering pump or battery.

Is there the potential I have a cracked radiator, and putting the new cap on allowed it to build enough pressure to force more coolant out of the crack? and if so is there any definitive method to test for the source of the leak.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to pick up a radiator pressure test kit from your local autoparts store.

You should be able to test your radiator cap with the kit as well.

Sounds like you have a cracked radiator. The sides are plastic.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, sorry to butt in but this seemed like the most appropriate thread.

I recently have identified what was a very slow leak from a very shoddy coolant reservoir cap, and replaced it.

Within a day or two of replacing the cap I come out to find a coolant leak along the bottom of the front bumper, and an empty reservoir. upon under hood inspection I couldn't find much of a mess that may indicate a leaky hose or water pump failure. the bulk of the coolant I found under the hood is located on the driver side near the headlight and side of the radiator, with virtually no overspray back towards the power steering pump or battery.

Is there the potential I have a cracked radiator, and putting the new cap on allowed it to build enough pressure to force more coolant out of the crack? and if so is there any definitive method to test for the source of the leak.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving

Just buy a new MOPAR radiator, yes MOPAR, non of the cheap ones unless you like to change radiators .......a lot.
while doing that may as well do it right and replace upper and lower radiator hoses, plus thermostat. Check the belt and idler pulleys as well

Members online

No members online now.