Transmission Skid Plate DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a transmission skid plate for my 03 Jeep for a while but can’t seem to get my hands on one, and i don’t want to spend $500 for a skid row one (i know they are good, just too expensive). So I’m thinking of building one myself, just curious if anyone attempted this and maybe has drawings/plans for it.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished building my own skid plate a few months ago; cost me about $100 or less in parts, assuming that you have a cutoff wheel and a welder to build it with.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a transmission skid plate for my 03 Jeep for a while but can’t seem to get my hands on one, and i don’t want to spend $500 for a skid row one (i know they are good, just too expensive). So I’m thinking of building one myself, just curious if anyone attempted this and maybe has drawings/plans for it.
If you're interested in the plans that I made just let me know and I'll send them right over.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll send the original drawing(which still only exists in my head;)), and then pictures of what I actually got

kiwi_outdoors

Reaction score
The OEM skid plates were not expensive, as best I can remember. I bought a MOPAR skid plate for the transfer case on my 2008 Liberty. The price was no big deal.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya but good luck finding the transmission skid for 02-07; it's nearly $500 and there's only one option that I've found. I did lots of research before I decided to build mine.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM skid plates were not expensive, as best I can remember. I bought a MOPAR skid plate for the transfer case on my 2008 Liberty. The price was no big deal.
Yeah it’s nearly impossible to find oem one, and aftermarket skid plates are good but they are $500+ so making your own looks like a good alternative

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, been really busy for a few days; I'll try to get a clean copy of those plans out to you this week

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's a blueprint of what would be little better than a preproduction model. It's not perfect, and you may want to adjust it slightly for your application. It's made of 1/8" (11 gauge or 3mm) steel plate with 1/8" 1"x1" angle iron. It's a pretty reasonable weight right now and it's really strong. its approximately 18" wide and 33" long and bolts to the front engine skid and the transmission crossmember using m10 nutserts and m10 bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 39

LucasD

Reaction score
So here's a blueprint of what would be little better than a preproduction model. It's not perfect, and you may want to adjust it slightly for your application. It's made of 1/8" (11 gauge or 3mm) steel plate with 1/8" 1"x1" angle iron. It's a pretty reasonable weight right now and it's really strong. its approximately 18" wide and 33" long and bolts to the front engine skid and the transmission crossmember using m10 nutserts and m10 bolts.
Do you have any pictures of the final product? And I'm assuming there are bends in this plan? I'm having a hard time visualizing it

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoping this may also help.
Here is what the the OEM transmission skid plate look like.

Attachments

• Transmission Skid PLATE drain hole.jpg
    Transmission Skid PLATE drain hole.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Transmission Skid OEM.jpg
    Transmission Skid OEM.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 9

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yippee yikes!!! I can’t imagine how much clearance you would lose with the oem one. Mine is a straight/flat plate and the mounting flanges are bent slightly to better mate up to the cross members. I’ll check if I still have my pictures of it.
CONDITION: mines a CRD with the rfe545 5 speed automatic. Different drivetrain setups may require a different skid plate.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of the final product? And I'm assuming there are bends in this plan? I'm having a hard time visualizing it
Here's a link to a post that I made with the finished product. Hopefully this helps you to see it. It's hard to get good pictures of it while it's on the liberty. Also, i gave it a nice coating of green Raptor Liner that has held up perfectly even with oil and fuel spills on it.

Latest posts

Members online