Skid plate set deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the front crossmembers for the engine skid plate should already have the rivet nut in them.
The others might not have them but look for the hex shaped holes.

You can buy hex shaped rivet nut from mopar.

If you need extra bolts let me know.
I have a bunch from my order from Mcmaster.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f194/m10x1-5-rivet-nut-extra-available-58110/index2.html

Yea, I'd love to understand whats the mounting hardware items list I need (+count) for mounting those 3 skids correctly. I don't mind buying those rivets from you.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tommudd is most likely correct.
Check out the part fische to get an idea of what you'll need.

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ
pg 590 of pdf for engine
pg 22 for gas tank
pg 21 for tf case

Looks like the gas tank uses M12 and not M10 like the engine and TF case skid plates.

Let me know if you need the M10 bolts I ordered I have 17 left.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

pg 590 of pdf for engine
pg 22 for gas tank
pg 21 for tf case

Looks like the gas tank uses M12 and not M10 like the engine and TF case skid plates.

If he got the new free hitch then he has what it takes to install the gas tank skid. Front is 4 bolts, two in front , two in the rear on the engine cradle. Those two also help bolt the transmission skid up when he gets one.
For the transfer case I'd just drill a hole through the transmission cross member for that along with the two rivnuts in the frame

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

pg 590 of pdf for engine
pg 22 for gas tank
pg 21 for tf case

Thanks for this ultra useful link/manuals!

The engine skid pg 590 also lists a left/right bracket (52128544AA) which I believe I am not gonna get in the mail.. Do I need to buy these as well to successfully mount it? left/right?

and pls PM me about the rivnuts & M10 bolts

Also do you have an idea about the skids weights?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about the bracket but based off Tom's comment, I doubt it.
Just go check out your undercarriage.

Sorry, i don't know the weight but they have some decent weight to it.

Check for the hex shaped holes around the tf case but if you want to drill holes and use the rivet nuts I have that's your call.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to wrap my head around how to mount the skids set + what hardware is required. Wanna make sure I got all the correct items before I begin so got a bunch of questions, bear with me:

according to this:
You must be registered for see images attach

Easiest thing is the fuel tank skid - 6 x M12 bolts, done. OK..

Now tcase and engine skids:

---

For the engine skid according to list I need
(a) 1 x M10x1.5x30 (but the drawings shows 3!!) - whats true?

(b) drawing shows I need a bracket of some kind that I do not have (circled in red) - MOPAR PN# 52128544AA - do I need the right or left version (ends with 5AA instead) or nothing at all? if nothing that how does it mount on that point?

For the tcase skid I need:
1 x M10x1.5x30
1 x rivet

(c) or is it rivnut / nutzert? is it all the same thing? only one?! tomm said two, drawing shows one.. I'm at lost here.

(d) some kind of tool required to put the rivet in? which? tried looking for that tool PN - it's out of stock everywhere. Is it for drilling the cross-member?? if so how do I drill this thick steel and with what diameter?

(e) Does the M10 screw into the rivet? Is it a rivet with an internal thread? I looked on the undercarriage but not sure I am clear on this. only one M10 bolt is needed for the whole tcase skid?!

(f) Is there a recommended order for installation - tcase first and engine second or vice versa?

(g) if one day I get the transmission skid, will I be able to mount it or it'll require removal of the tcase/engine skids first?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Like I mentioned before if you have the freebie hitch then you have what you need to mount the gas skid , remove bolts bolt then gas tank skid up

2 - of the riv nuts to go in the frame for the transfer skid. other one goes in the cross member , you can bolt it on there or use a rivnut

Engine skid you need the bolts thats it , everything else is there

Transmission skid, you'll be able to install anytime, not like you can never remove them

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of the low produced 03' Renegades that came stock with them. These things are pretty decent.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the engine skid according to list I need
(a) 1 x M10x1.5x30 (but the drawings shows 3!!) - whats true?

you need 4x

(b) drawing shows I need a bracket of some kind that I do not have (circled in red) - MOPAR PN# 52128544AA - do I need the right or left version (ends with 5AA instead) or nothing at all? if nothing that how does it mount on that point?

look under your jeep to verify. maybe this might help
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/help-mopar-skid-install-40112/

For the tcase skid I need:
1 x M10x1.5x30
1 x rivet
(you need 4 sets total if no rivetnuts)

(c) or is it rivnut / nutzert? is it all the same thing? only one?! tomm said two, drawing shows one.. I'm at lost here.

i think they're the same thing. again. verify by looking under your jeep

(d) some kind of tool required to put the rivet in? which? tried looking for that tool PN - it's out of stock everywhere. Is it for drilling the cross-member?? if so how do I drill this thick steel and with what diameter?

Yes. but you can make the tool yourself.
Nutzert/nutsert question - JeepForum.com
Homemade Riv-nut Tool

(e) Does the M10 screw into the rivet? Is it a rivet with an internal thread? I looked on the undercarriage but not sure I am clear on this. only one M10 bolt is needed for the whole tcase skid?!
need 4x. look at the part fische to give you an idea on where on the crossmember and body to look at.

(f) Is there a recommended order for installation - tcase first and engine second or vice versa?
whatever floats your boat. all independent of each other.

(g) if one day I get the transmission skid, will I be able to mount it or it'll require removal of the tcase/engine skids first?
with the mopar ****** skid, you'll need to remove the engine skid first.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
:happy175::happy175::happy175:Deleted all of mine, answered but...............

Last edited:

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I feel like my kj is naked without the trans skid. Not that I think I will be doing that serious of wheeling but hrrmmm.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Now I feel like my kj is naked without the trans skid. Not that I think I will be doing that serious of wheeling but hrrmmm.

Never know when you may need them, doesn't have to be off road.
Once hit a manual transmission when it fell off a truck in front of me.
In traffic no where t go, was glad to have that skid on then.
Thank goodness my 76 Bronco was lifted and had skids

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a free road sign to fall in my lap for that additional front protection.
:gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a free road sign to fall in my lap for that additional front protection.
:gr_grin:

Seen one the other day laying in the weeds about 1/4 miles from a salvage yard. I figured it fell off a truck going there. But didn't stop, should have they sure are handy.
Once had a floor in a dune buggy made from two large ones. Should of seen the HP when they were doing the inspection so I could title it !!:happy175::happy175: