Sixth tire wreaks havoc on '04 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJNJJeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was driving through CT, Sunday, on my way home and the car in front of me swerved to avoid something. As soon as I saw that it was a tire in the middle of the highway it was too late and it went right under the Jeep. UGH!!!! :mad: I spent my Halloween on the side of Route 91 in CT. The KJ is at the local repair shop and I am waiting for an estimate...

To preface this... Saturday I just got the front and rear diff's fluid changed and the mechanic told me there is a 704 error coming from the trans.. Any idea what that is?

You must be registered for see images

The Sixth Tire!

I will keep it posted!

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJNJ..
Sorry for your unfortunate 6th tire encounter... yuk!! Good luck.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man...bummer. Too bad you couldn't have cleared it. But if you were driving a car instead of the jeep I am sure it would be much worse.

At least you wern't hurt.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like it nailed the oil pan. Probably hit the ****** pan too. Insurance should cover it, it's not going to be cheap.

Oh, and get some skids. :D

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn I thought you only hit a piece of a retread tire tread that flew off a truck, but you hit a whole wheel?! :wtf2:

Glad nobody was hurt or that the Libby wasn't too badly damaged. It must have been quite the job keeping yourself from sliding off the highway or into another lane.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just reading this thread make me want to lift the KJ ASAP!
At least I have skids though.
Good luck KJNJEFF, let us know what the repairs are...the insurance co, can assist you.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
'tis only a scratch.

also, trans case is probably cracked. likely a whole transmission will be put in. *****.

BRB reinstalling skids.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the tire was moved, its not anywhere near the ****** pan or oil pan, its just sitting under the cross member. Not sure how it would crack the transmission case.

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer man. I drive the CT highways every day and always see crap on them. The DOT takes forever to move crap like that.

BTW - Can I have my tire back? Thanks.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I travel a lot and whenever I spot debris on the highway like the remnants of an exploded retread or a piece of pulpwood I carefully pull over and pull it off the highway. One can only imagine what would happen if a Prius or a motorcycle hit it.

I've had a police officer thanked me as he was about to do the same.

Heck I've even helped drag a dead moose off the highway to clear the road for traffic.

So Jeff, please tell us the extent of the damages.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Unless the tire was moved, its not anywhere near the ****** pan or oil pan, its just sitting under the cross member. Not sure how it would crack the transmission case.

Was presuming it was hit at highway speed and the Jeep was backed up (which would be the natural reaction)

KJNJJeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah! Thanks everyone. I am still waiting on a quote from the auto mechanic. The funny thing is that I think skids would have saved the car and took the brunt of the damage. They have now been moved to the top of the list. If I have any money after the repairs..

So yeah, skids and lift on the top of the list. The fluid that was coming out was a red'ish fluid. It could be power steering, diff fluid, or trans fluid. Not sure till I get the bad news. Yeah, it was the tire and the rim!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was red fluid its either ****** fluid or power steering cooler. Its possible it took out the steering rack but by from the amount of fluid it may be something to do with the transmission. Could of just cut a cooler line.

Skids could have saved you from damage, just depends. Could have slid right over it or it could have popped up if it made it past that and took out other things. Either way, I try my best to straddle things like that in the road.. Had a few prius's get stuck under there though.

KJNJJeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got a quote.. Oil pan, oil pan gasket, labor.. $600. I expected much worse.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got a quote.. Oil pan, oil pan gasket, labor.. $600. I expected much worse.

Wow, good thing you didn't try to drive it then...

After you get it fixed consider skids.

Dave