Sirius Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBorgers

Reaction score
I have a 05 Liberty CRD with the factory Sirius radio. For some reason the Sirius radio will intermittently go out. It will be working great then occasionally you turn the Liberty off and and when you start it back up it just picks up static. You will be able to barely hear the Sirius station but it will mostly be static. Then if you shut it off for a while it will work perfect. The radio will work on AM/FM and CD when the Sirius goes out. Has anybody experienced this problem?

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a problem with all DC vehicles I have a personal friend who is the service manager at a Chrysler dealership and from what I can find out DC does not know how to fix it, happens in my Ram, and yesterday my wife told me it happened in the Liberty, in my case it is very intermittent, may not happen for a month or so, then it may happen twice in one day. Originally it was thought that this only happened with the RB1 radio, but since has been showing up on all radio lines, it is annoying, now when it happens I just turn off the vehicle and restart, occasionally it will take several restarts. On my Ram every component has been replaced, the radio, the Sirius tuner, the antenna and all of the wiring, and it still happens.
One question, does your do it after being on, or only when started after sitting for a while, mine has only done it after sitting.

Bob

RBorgers

Reaction score
I only have a about 500 miles on my Liberty. So far I have had this happen about 4 times. Every time this has occured I have been driving for a while and then go into a store for about 10 to 15 minutes. When I would start the Liberty the Sirius radio would have a lot of static and you would be able to to just barely hear the channel it was tuned to. I kept driving the Liberty for about 10 minutes but it would not pickup any better. I don't know if this is related to the problem, but on the days I experinced this problem it was hot and sunny. I noticed that today it did not have this problem and it is cool and overcast. My wifes Mini Cooper has a factory installed Sirius radio and has never experinced this problem.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My problem is similiar, static and barely able to hear, except I do not believe it is heat related, my Ram has sat in the garage overnight and upon start up early in the morning I have had the problem, but not as frequently as you are having. If you bring you Liberty to the dealer, please post what they tell you, my bigest problem with the Ram was that it would never do it when I could leave it noisy and bring it in, except finally one day it did it when I picked it up after an oil change. Out of curosity what model radio do you have, by any chance is it the RB1 navigation, because that is what I have. I have always found that turning off the vehicle and restarting clears the problem

Bob

RBorgers

Reaction score
I have the RBQ radio. I will keep you updated on my progress. It will be next week before I get a chance to take it to the dealership.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went by the dealeship today for some unfinished paperwork, while there I spoke with the assistant service manager ragrding the Sirius anomolie, he told me that they had not experienced the problem and in fact had very few vehicles with Sirius installed. He told me that he would contact DC engineering and asked the question and would let me know their answer. the service manager I really wanted to speak to was away at some training thing and will not be back until next week, I may wait until then and query him.

Bob

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had this same exact problem...was all static...i took it right to the stealership, shut the car off, got the service man, turned the car back on and the sat radio was working again...he didnt believe me...it has happened twice so far.. i learned that if you hear static..shut the car off then turn it back on and thats when my radio would work. its so funny that the stealerships have 'no clue' about it. (Aeh)

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have firmly resolved the next time it happens I am going to drive to the dealer and shut nothing off, until they listen to it,

Bob

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah thats a great idea..i want to do that, but thankfully my sirius hasnt died again ...yet. \:D/

squid729

Full Access Member
Reaction score
having same issue here - very intermittently, every few weeks - but i dont consider it enough a problem to work very hard to resolve. only happens at a fresh start after driving and then turning off the vehicle. turn it off and start again and its usually gone

we did have a sirius-only persistent static that got progressivley worse the longer the radio was on and made the sirius almost impossible to listen to for long periods, was majorly annoying us about the vehicle. for that issue our dealer troubleshooted a coupla different things and eventually swapped out the sirius receiver and the problem was solved

also we have had the same problem the initial poster described with both the orginal and replacement sirius receivers

AntTrax

Reaction score
I've also encountered this problem a few times in my 05 Liberty. It does seem to go away after a restart. Kinda a hassle.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it looks like this is a problem with factory-installed Sirius radios. Does anyone with an after-market Sirius install have any of these problems? I have been toying with getting Sirius for a while, and since I got the word that Radio Margaritaville is going to be on Sirius I am definitely giving it some thought.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per recommendation of DC engineering the dealer replaced the RB1 nav radio with a brand new just manufactured one as a cure for the static problem, the next day the static problem returned.

Bob

RBorgers

Reaction score
Well I took it in to the dealership this morning. They contacted DC who advised them to install a new sirius radio. They had to order it and should have it next week. I will let you know next week if this solves the problem.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience and what you were told it appears they are guessing at a remedy, please post the outcome of you Sirius tuner replacement, for your sake I hope it cures the problem

Bob

gawilliams

Reaction score
Same problem -- no solution

About once a week, I have the loud static problem upon startup also. I took it in to the dealer, explained it all, explained that others were having this problem, etc. I had even taken it in a week earlier when it was acutally doing it and had the service manager and their electronics technician look and listen. Anyway, the only solution the tech had was to replace the antenna, in case it was making a bad connectoin. I declined that, becuase I know that not to be the problem. I told them I'd keep my eye out of any TSB or anything, and asked them to report the issue to DC, which they said they would (who knows if they did).

I have observed that it only happens when I leave the vehicle in Sirius mode when I turn it off -- so I try to remember to switch to AM/FM or CD before I shut down... but it's crazy to have to do that!

Anyway -- I hope a TSB is forthcoming! BTW, I have the RBQ in-dash six-disc changer in mine.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Same problem -- no solution

gawilliams said:
I have observed that it only happens when I leave the vehicle in Sirius mode when I turn it off -- so I try to remember to switch to AM/FM or CD before I shut down... but it's crazy to have to do that!

I had by a electronic tech at the Dodge dealership tell me to turn the radio off before shutting down, most of the time I forget, but it sounds similiar to tuning to am/fm

Bob