Sirius Kenwood H2EC install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got a Kenwood H2EC receiver for Christmas, just got it today, ordered it from Crutchfield on Christmas day. Thought I would never get it.

All that aside, I installed it today. I will post some pics, but I was able to get some ideas from others here and ran the antenna wire through the 3rd brake light and along the drivers side rubber molding overhead.

I then ran the power (Temporarily) from the 12 plug in the junk tray down and behind the center console and over to the receiver behind the dash.

I really don't like the suction cup windshield mounts so I fabricated a mount for the receiver and placed it directly to the left of the HVAC controls.This mount simply slips in where the kick panel drops down. It is secure and is accessible and out of the way all at once.

It works for me anyway.

The only question I have is where to tap in for my hard wire 12v from the fuse panel. I really don't like the accessibility. But want to hard wire it eventually. Where have you tapped in?

(I will post pics once I download them and get the hosted somewhere)

So far so good. The only other issue so far is trying to find a clean FM station to use. I think I finally found one. I really like this unit. I will give a more complete review once I figure out the features and use is some.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New question, finding a clean unused FM station in my area is tougher than I thought. I now want to wire this unit direct. I have a 3.5mm out on the Kenwood cradle, but need to adapt this to the factory aux input connector on the back of the head unit. Anyone have a good schematic for the aux side of the connectors on the back of it. Mine has the integrated 6 disc changer in it. there is 1 connector, 10 pin It looks like that is not used. I am guessing this is the aux input for this head unit.

Also if anyone has found a source for these factory connectors, that would be helpful too. [-o<

robotmonkey

Reaction score
Are you talking about an OEM head unit? Because my 2005 Liberty emphatically does not have any aux inputs. I had to add them with a device I bought from Crutchfield. The device plugs into CD changer socket in the back of the head unit. If you have the same head unit as mine, I believe this would mean giving up use of your CD changer.

Pictures and links of the device I use here:

http://jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2807

I understand at least some 2006 Jeeps have real aux inputs (my dad's D-C Pacifica does) on the front panel, but I dunno about what's available on the back of the head unit.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am, after looking at your pics again I se that we do have the same OEM head unit. I removed mine and there are truly no aux inputs on the back. Argggh!

I do use the Changed so that's not an option.

Looks like inline FM modulation to fix my issue for now.

Thanks, for the reply.

robotmonkey

Reaction score
Have you considered an FM modulator adapter? As for as I know, here's how it works:

It goes in between your car antenna and your head unit. Then a hardwired line runs from your Sirius "FM OUT" jack to the FM modulator adapter. When your satellite receiver is operating it cuts off the car antenna, which reduces FM interference and makes it more likely that you can find -- and stick with -- an FM frequency.

Dunno whether they are all created equally or whether that really is how they work, so do your due diligence. Financial ruin, liver failure, **** leakage and slight death may occur if you don't!

Sources and discussion on Sirius Backstage:

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22412

EDIT: I just realized that this is what you probably meant by inline FM modulation.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Crutchfield this morning. Looks like my receiver has a bad FM modulator. :-s

They are sending a new unit, will see how it works out. If no better, I will be picking up a modulator.

I have done a little more searching and I found a few others who purchased that unit also had bad FM modulators. Replaced the unit and worked fine.

Thanks for the finds, I will let everyone know what happens with the new unit.

I did hardwire the power last night. Nice not to have that plug sticking out.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, look at this one for under $20:

That one has great reviews on a few sites, also does not requite external power to it. Stupid Dodge antenna connectors though, I have to buy 2 adapter cables to connect it. But gonna go get one from Circuit city this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up on that unit.

Latest posts

Members online