Sigh Electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoolAcid

Reaction score
Well - It's been a good run for the 'Ol KJ - I've really had a good time, even replacing parts has been simple (partly due to this forum):

- A/C Compressor due to toast Clutch
- Front Drive Shaft
- Added the Cruse Control (Gotta remember to move the pictures)
- Lots of other things...

Now I gotta actually call out for help on this one, it's got me partly stumped. I'm thinking BCM or bad harness somewhere, and I'm hoping someone can help narrow it down.

These all may not be related, I'll try and give as much detail as I can;

1. A few months ago the rear wiper would try and cycle when pressing the break - this would come and go over long periods of time

2. Periodically when using the left tern signal it would do the quick blink, but all the lights are operational - I do have a small hole in the front left marker, and it does seem to correlate with wet weather so I think it's just that.

Now more resent issues:

3. Today, when I opened the rear driver side door to put my bag in, the radio came on

4. When I went to lock the car doors with remote, the horn wouldn't beep - but it does when I press the steering wheel

So my first question is - is there anywhere where all these wires would come in close contact? Helps to narrow down the inspection.

Any thoughts would be great.

Chears,
Jason

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhm, I'm sorry I can't provide any direct advice, but you have what we in the technical world would call "a mess".

Did this start occurring after installing the Cruise Control?

CoolAcid

Reaction score
Uhm, I'm sorry I can't provide any direct advice, but you have what we in the technical world would call "a mess".

I would tend to agree - Funny thing is, when I went for lunch, the horn beeped when I locked - so It must be a water issue (rained hard last night).

Did this start occurring after installing the Cruise Control?

No - the Cruise control was put in years ago (see the how-to section since I wrote the how-to). The only change recently was the A/C compressor changed out - done by a mechanic. Before that was hitch and trailer wiring harness, which is what I was thinking the tail light issue was from.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is, for one system to activate (rear wiper) when another separate system is activated (brake/brake lights), something has to be cross-wired, or so faulty/damaged that vibrations or moisture is connecting two separate circuits, effectively making them cross-wired.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The first thing ThunderbirdJunkie would think is the multifunction switch.

Does the rear wiper act normally when you switch it on?

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frist thing I would do it look at the C1, C2, and C3 connectors attached to the back of the BCM. They're located just above the driver's kick panel. Virtually every wire in the KJ goes through these connectors. It's possible that one of them is loose. They bolt to the BCM.

Also check out the BCM C1 and C2 Connectors.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

CoolAcid

Reaction score
yeah - I was kind hoping someone would know approx a location where all the wires might cross so I could look for bad wires.

I'll check that area and the areas around.

Thanks.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck, CoolAcid. Tell us what you find. I'm real curious to know what's causing the nuclear missiles to launch when you press the Coffee dispenser button! :D

CoolAcid

Reaction score
Interesting Development

I was driving home and thinking, and smelling that you know what smell. So i was trying to piece together what they all could be. Well - when I got home, i went to check the amp under my front seat, just in case it wasn't the door, but something going wonky that I jossald. Well, low and behold, the carpet is REALLY wet - big storm last night but all the windows were closed. Sure enough, the front carpet is even wetter.

So - two questions:

1. Is there any connectors under the seats that may short out with water
2. (and i havn't searched yet, figured I'd update first) Is there a quick way to dry out that carpet.

EDIT:

Another development - now my driver site marker lights will not turn off...

Cheers,
Jason

Last edited:

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the 03's but for my 04 there was a recall on the back door wiring due to water getting in and shorting things out..

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much wiring goes through the pillars and the headliner and how much might go through the floor.

However, if you've got that much water, that's a strong indicator of your problem (not a guarantee, but a likely culprit).

You say your windows were closed... you don't have a sunroof, do you CoolAcid? If I'm correct, there's a draintube for the channels in the sunroof that can cause water leakage in the floor of the KJ if there's a problem with that tube. Runs from the sunroof, down the pillar and out the bottom of the KJ somewhere.

CoolAcid

Reaction score
I do have a sun roof - so I'll check that too. I'm wondering if the water is just buildup over time and winter. Not 100% sure.

There is a good bundle of wires running under the floor boards. But I didn't see any connectors - so I may be back to the drawing board.

AirBag Light came on last night too when I was trying to dry out the floor. Is that possibly due to the fact I disconnected the wires on the seat?

I have the drivers side seat out, carpet pulled up trying to dry it.. but it's going slow. May need to find a garage to put it in with a few fans.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a severe flooding problem years ago with an older Ranchero (Ford version of the Chevy El Camino. These where pick-up/car hybrids for those of you to young to remember...).

It turned out that when it was painted (previous owner) a hole at the base of each door had been sealed up. These where the holes that allowed the water frome the bed to drain out. It turned out that the bed actually drained into the body channel, then ran a short distance forward to the holes under the door - can you beleive it? With the holes plugged, every time it rained, the bed drained into the chassis channel, then overflowed everywhere on the floor. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, with modern electronics, and BCMs, much of the switching of things is done on the Ground side of the circuit. By simply grounding a pin on the BCM, things are turned on/off. This keeps current requirements in the "control" circuits to a minimum.

As you have seen, getting a connector wet will allow things to be randomly "grounded" with the BCM responding the only way it knows how :confused: "lets turn something on". The good news is that ideally once you get the leak sorted out your "Gremlins" should go away - hopefully without having to replace the BCM.

Wish I could help more with the leak issues. I would start at the top (sunroof) and work your way down. Use a garden hose to direct water onto specific areas you suspect, then check for water inside the vehicle. You may need to pull some body panells and such to trace the path the water is taking. Maybe someone here cna point you to the exact point of entry.

Good Luck!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I do have a sun roof - so I'll check that too. I'm wondering if the water is just buildup over time and winter. Not 100% sure.

There is a good bundle of wires running under the floor boards. But I didn't see any connectors - so I may be back to the drawing board.

AirBag Light came on last night too when I was trying to dry out the floor. Is that possibly due to the fact I disconnected the wires on the seat?

I have the drivers side seat out, carpet pulled up trying to dry it.. but it's going slow. May need to find a garage to put it in with a few fans.

Sunroof has drains in front pillars,airbag light comes and goes in mine.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firstly you can get water splashed up into the vehicle through the rubber grommets where the steering column goes into the engine bay and likewise the various pedals.Also where the wire harnesses enter the cabin from the engine bay through the fire wall.
There are large connector plugs in the pillars just in front of the front doors...around about where you would bump your feet if you move them outwards...remove the plastic panels to get access there.
Your Air Bag lights will come on if you unplug the wires going to your seats.
The guys here have given you some good advice...I am sure if you can dry everything out most of your gremlins will dissapear:)
If you need a circuit diagram, plus locations of connectors, PM me and I will advise you as to where they can be obtained...2002 models but should still be reasonably accurate.

CoolAcid

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

At this point, its just a mater of drying the darn thing.

@Billwill

Yeah, the connector by the feet may have been where water got it - there was enough water that it may have seeped up that high and into the connector. So we'll see how it goes.

Makes me happy that it's this simple. Would have hated to have it be a harness replacement ;)

Once it's all dry and/or I figure out where the water is coming in I'll post a status update just in case anyone else has gremlins too in the future.

Cheers,
Jason

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not likely. I live in one of the wettest regions of the country and I've never had that much water in my jeep. And I don't have a garage. So it's parked outside for the nine months of driving rain we get here. Heck, I've even accidentally left the windows down in the winter here during a rainstorm. Seat gets a little wet, little dampness in the carpet, and the little indentation thingy in the door armrest gets full of water. But I've never experienced the kind of moisture you're describing on your floor.

I'd be willing to bet a small sum of money that your sunroof is playing a part in this water.

CoolAcid

Reaction score
Sigh - everything is to the point that I'm happy with the drying.

On the drive home I can randomly smell that smell of smells.. burning..
I get out, and sure enough my break lights are stuck on, and the more I sniff, the more it smells like something in the rear.

Looking around it looks like the wiring harness for the rear lights hop out just below the rear seats? Is the the correct place?

If this is, I know I want to look under the seat for the bad connections as thats where the smell seems to be coming from, and a place where all the wires that have kind of been acting up seem to be located or run though..

Any thoughts?

Thanks....

Jason

Update:

I found it - I'll post pictures later.

Last edited:

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Based on the amount of dust that gets in through the back of my 02 kj I wouldn't be surprised if you get water in there as well, but I am very interested as to what you found!

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see the pics too, to see what you've found.

Also dielectric grease wouldn't hurt as long as there's no rubber seals on the connectors.

Latest posts

Members online