Sick of ESP taking all the fun out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today we had a foot of snow fall and I went out to have a little fun. Pushed the little ESP button to turn off nanny controls. Found a nice area to play around in and went for a slide and found the nanny controls were still on.... What a ******. Is there a sure fire way to turn off these control mechanisms? Whats the point in turning ESP off if it still wont let you spin and have fun? And when i did slide the rear out the bloody front brakes kept coming on to straighten me out! BAH!! so much for having fun lol.

I know there are 5 levels or separate control and that even though ESP is off I believe the "FAKE" limited slip brake controller is left on and so it vehicle stability.

I say to you Dodge/Jeep let me control my bloody vehicle!! *shakes Fist*

I feel better now :893karatesmiley-thu

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no laws on ESP up here. and I get no break for having it. I might install a switch into the fuse's power so I can switch the ABS on and off. That might work well.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
:hmm:Dash may light up like a Christmas tree when you turn it off.:Whoa:
Edit: I would also be aware that stopping distance may be effected.
Try braking with it off, to become familiar if you do this.

Last edited:

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the first vehicle I have ever owned with all these nanny controls. There nice and I wouldn't drive around with them off for no reason. It would be off for parking lots or off-roading.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
How would stopping distance be affected? All you are doing is taking power away from the ABS pump, and the system otherwise should works same.

I personally noticed no difference with it on or fully disabled (pulled fuse). And yes I have tested it.

I leave mine on though just to have fun.... but in a different way. It's kinda cool to literally be thrown back in a straight line after trying something crazy. lol3.gif

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was kinda wondering that. I understand all to well how these systems work. disabling ABS will decrease stopping distance in low traction weather and increase it in high traction weather (and yes I have physically testing this, it was my final research project in collage). There maybe some differences but whatever not looking for an online argument :)

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy am I glad our 2004 doesn't have all that junk!

I'm surprised that my 04 Liberty Sport with four wheel disc brakes didn't come with ABS. But there are times when you don't want ABS or ESP on the trail.

I have ABS & ESP on my 2010 Patriot and find it a very stable platform on the highway. Since I have no intention of offroading with it the ABS/ESP won't be a problem.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya my 04 also has discs x4, and ABS was optional then, became standard in 05 or 06?
I am with Ryan, glad it does not have that unnecessary limiting junk.
Just one more light to go on and diagnose/more parts to order when it does.

lkwoods

Reaction score
Ya my 04 also has discs x4, and ABS was optional then, became standard in 05 or 06?
I am with Ryan, glad it does not have that unnecessary limiting junk.
Just one more light to go on and diagnose/more parts to order when it does.

Not sure about Canada, but it must have been '06 here. My '05 Rene has no ABS. Which is kind of nice during winter when it gets icy. I'm a bit of a thrill seeker! crazy.gif

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad mine doesn't have it for normal driving. The one thing I wish I could have though is the "fake" limited slip. Its really cheesy, but when you lift one tire off the ground while wheeling it will still allow you to have power applied to the wheel on the ground. The traction control does an excellent job with this. I have seen it work first hand on a KJ in front of me. Then I went and, FAIL! got teetering on both corners and was going nowhere.

lkwoods

Reaction score
I'm glad mine doesn't have it for normal driving. The one thing I wish I could have though is the "fake" limited slip. Its really cheesy, but when you lift one tire off the ground while wheeling it will still allow you to have power applied to the wheel on the ground. The traction control does an excellent job with this. I have seen it work first hand on a KJ in front of me. Then I went and, FAIL! got teetering on both corners and was going nowhere.

Yeah, I would love to have a limited slip of some sort for cornering. My right foot is a little heavy, so particularly when I do right-on-red turns, rapid forward propulsion is lost.:shrug::gr_grin:
It would be nice to have the other wheel do something besides just keeping my Jeep level.​

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a definite benefit to the ESP here:
You must be registered for see images

My mate who took this photo is a Land Rover 4x4 trainer and he poked his head inside my cab looking for my locker switch :smokin:

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i pull the ABS pump fuse on mine... and leave it out all the time UNLESS i'm going to be wheeling offroad then i'll put it back in.. because it does help offroad. On road i hate it... in snow i hate it. and personally i perfer not to have ABS or traction control. so pulling that fuse works great for me. Stopping distance for me is actually better without ABS because i can control the amount of braking i'm doing.. and i can feel the limit of traction instead of the computer taking it from me well before that traction limit is reached.

you will have a ESP/BAS, traction control, and ABS lit up on the dash. i also have a fix for that :icon_twisted: PM me if you want details for that fix.

i also eliminated those stupid TPMS sensors :icon_twisted:

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a definite benefit to the ESP here:
You must be registered for see images

My mate who took this photo is a Land Rover 4x4 trainer and he poked his head inside my cab looking for my locker switch :smokin:
Nice looking rig...you are missing 2 lights up top though...and your steering wheel is on the wrong side...whats up with that :party52:.