Show your front plates! (for those of us w/out state plates)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woo Hoo Libby Lu

Reaction score
Hey there Jeepers, I'm trying to decide what would look tuff on my front license plate. My KJ is originally from TX, where I believe they are required to have front state plates, but here in KY we don't have them. Unfortunately, when I took off the front bracket, there were NASTY holes, so I guess I'm gonna have to get a *vanity* plate. Thinking some kind of JEEP logo, or LIBERTY logo.

Show us your stuff! (Especially if you have a JEEP OR LIBERTY OR FRONT GRILLE plate!

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ is originally from TX, where I believe they are required to have front state plates, but here in KY we don't have them.
Same thing for me, bought my jeep in TX, FL requires only rear plates. I'm going to fill in the holes with something to be determined, then paint my fender flares and bumpers black. Pictures to follow.

2003KJ

Reaction score
There was a thread on this a long long time ago that I started when I bought mine, but i can't find it.

Anyways, here's mine:

HPIM0497.JPG

I bought it from www.allthingsjeep.com Jean from that site came on here and gave us a 10% discount if I remember correctly. Do a search for "allthingsjeep" and it should be one of the first to come up. She's awesome to do business with. Everything has gone nice and easy, and the product has always arrived on time (actually early) with out even any damage to the box. I highly recommend checking out their site.

Woo Hoo Libby Lu

Reaction score
Ok, forgive my ignorance, I am a newbie. What is an ARB and a winch? And what do they do? And while I am at it, what are tow hooks, tow straps, and what do they do? THANKS!!! Love the Jeep plate!

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow...

You must be registered for see images attach

ARB BULL BAR (A real bumper, in the truest sense of the word.)

Those two hook-shaped things below where the front bumper used to be are front tow hooks, they are used as a place to grab onto with a TOW ROPE(see below), in order to pull a liberty out of a hole its stuck in or to pull someone else out of a hole they are stuck in.

The yellow thing is a tow rope, it has looped ends to go over the hooks, and to hold onto things like a hitch or schackle. In this case it is attached to my front tow hook.

A tow rope in action on the REAR TOW HOOK

how it fits on there.

I dont have a winch so I will leave the explanation of it to someone with a easy to understand photo.

Woo Hoo Libby Lu

Reaction score
Since this is way off topic of front plates, I am going to copy this into a new thread.

Ok, I don't have any tow hooks on the front or back. Are they easy to install by myself, and is there any certain style or brand that's better than others?

Should I wait until I get them to take her offroad? What else do I need to go offroad?

Side note: by easy to install, I mean requiring much strength. I am a JeepChick, and I can figure out complicated stuff but don't have a lot of muscle behind me! Are there any other girls here? I noticed Flaren and PatriotBlue03 are women... Glad to see I'm not the only one!

jeep_on

Reaction score
I don't have a KJ my self. All though I'm thinking of picking on up for the wifey as an upgrade to her YJ.

Any how, heres the frount plate off my WJ.

You must be registered for see images

Go here to see larger pics of my Jeeps. http://webpages.charter.net/rmsjr/jeep/idex.html

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You always fill the holes with button head screw painted to match or use stainless steel. I used stainless steel with a dap of clear silcone myself. I moved the license plate holder to front tow hitch after I fab an adapter for the license plate holder.

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Go Bolts!

coastgardsman

Reaction score
after a couple of beers, i get that liquid courage to try and do things without engageing 4wd and dont work to well

<center>

</center>

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish we didn't have to put plates up front in NY.. But it actually protects the front bumper :) when parking so close.. I got that heavy metalic plate frames, they do the job.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I wish we didn't have to put plates up front in NY.. But it actually protects the front bumper :) when parking so close.. I got that heavy metalic plate frames, they do the job.

so true...soooo true

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that im from NY as well i agree. Many a time have i found myself using the front license plate to its advantage (not on the jeep though!!)

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
funny story...
was driving my blazer crossing the Tri-Borough. went to pay at a booth. the clerk was like

"there is something funny about this car"

im like "what?" thinking that it may have smelled funny, or had a wierd noise or something

she's like "this car has no front plates, you should get that checked out"

soon as I got home, me and my friend jumped out and look in front....plates were there......

she thought there was none, cuz the front plates on the chevy were recessed....the way she said tho was as if i wasn an idiot....

friggin eh...

(hm, maybe it wasnt so funny)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still see a few drivers around without front plates.. what's the deal with that..
I always think "he must have gotten an out of state plate to scam insurance" but as soon as he passes I see it is NY!! Cops might think the same way, and if he never parks out on the street, it should be no problem I guess..

I also saw an old timer, with Liberty Plate in front, and new blueish plates in the back.. that was soo cool!!! (for those of us don't know liberty plates went off the chart about 3 years ago, and they gave us ugly blue plates!)