should i trim my front bumper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You gave tours out in tanzania? That must have been an awesome experience!

No just when I am there we go out to some of the wildlife parks and cruise around. Have friends over there who own a Safari Company.
My In Laws live on the slopes of Kilimanjaro and then about half days drive away is one of the huge parks. Of course a days drive away is the Serengeti.
My wife actually hit a gazelle a couple of weeks ago with the Toyota, messed it up pretty good. Dang thing has been hit with a Defender 90 and now the gazelle

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No just when I am there we go out to some of the wildlife parks and cruise around. Have friends over there who own a Safari Company.
My In Laws live on the slopes of Kilimanjaro and then about half days drive away is one of the huge parks. Of course a days drive away is the Serengeti.
My wife actually hit a gazelle a couple of weeks ago with the Toyota, messed it up pretty good. Dang thing has been hit with a Defender 90 and now the gazelle

Damn, i hate having to worry about hitting nj road hazards like deer and raccoon, couldnt imagine hitting a gazelle or rhinos. And bird poop probly isnt a big deal considering you have monkey taking dumps on your freshly washed ride hahaha

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hooks are the stock factory tow hooks
hot knife is OK I guess but one slip and you're done
don't like it plus the melted plastic is a bear to smooth up
I wouldn't take it all the way across, bumper would be real weak then and flap in the breeze , plus would show everything under there a lot more

Im probly guna go at it with a variable speed jig saw turned way down and then smooth it over with a palm sander or just by hand. Did the 02 sport come with factory hooks, If so how do they mount? And if not is there any way i could mount tow hooks coming out of those voids on either side of the license plate? I like the look with them in that position and figure its a good compromise for the tj bumper mod.. Im guna hold off on that and see if i can find a factory fit bumper cheaper used. Ive gone over my budget a few times and i just cant cut enough corners to make something i dont really need worth while. They hold a swap meet and raceway park twice a year so i might be able to find something there.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trimmed my front bumper after being hit head on and I went between a spiderco knife and a utility knife. Didn't take much off though so without looking hard you wouldn't notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trimmed my front bumper after being hit head on and I went between a spiderco knife and a utility knife. Didn't take much off though so without looking hard you wouldn't notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im thinking of taking it across just above the fog lights in to the where it pops out. Then down to just below the rectangle holes and across there. So besides where the fog lights are im only taking the bottom 2" or so from the bulk of the bumper.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what i saw that made we want to cut down my bumper.
You must be registered for see images attach

Is that to much?

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im just worried that if i cut that much off ill leave the cv axles open to debris.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They are open no matter what if you go off road any.
That one leaves the center section in so you still have some support of the bumper
Those are just regular tow hooks on his , not sure if they were stock or not

Oh and as long as they just walk along the road they won't poo on ya :signs16:

Last edited:

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are open no matter what if you go off road any.
That one leaves the center section in so you still have some support of the bumper
Those are just regular tow hooks on his , not sure if they were stock or not

Oh and as long as they just walk along the road they won't poo on ya :signs16:

They look like hitches that he put rings on instead of a ball. Ill probly cut it when i get home from work. Think its do able with the bumper still on?

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look like hitches that he put rings on instead of a ball. Ill probly cut it when i get home from work. Think its do able with the bumper still on?

Shouldn't be too difficult to do it with the bumper still on. I would think it'd be easier since it won't be able to move as much if you had it off.

Cidghoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does look nice and i would leave bumper on less movement and you can know instantly if it looks right

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be careful when cuting, because your wires/conduit run through there.

Yea im guna scope it out first. Guna see about getting a set of fogs to replace the ones ill be cutting out. Was planning on doing that and yet another hub bearing(one i bought was bad) but it just started snowing. This should be loads of fun haha

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea im guna scope it out first. Guna see about getting a set of fogs to replace the ones ill be cutting out. Was planning on doing that and yet another hub bearing(one i bought was bad) but it just started snowing. This should be loads of fun haha

It's about time it started snowing :headbang:. And wheelin today was pretty fun. I got to pull out a lifted explorer on 33's 3 times! :icon_mrgreen: