shocks?? what to get!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03kjsport

Reaction score
i recently purchased the rro 2.5 budget lift. i konw. ive read all these threads now, and well, i already bought it. and i will let you all know how things go with it. anyhow the question in hand is about shocks. what is your recomendation for quality low cost shocks. im buying this with " hidden from the wife" money. so, i cant get away with dropping too much. i was recomended buy rro that i get dt8000 pre-runners. what do you think? thanks

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DT8000's are pretty stiff but, they've held up pretty well over the last 12K miles for me. Those are the only thing I've gotten from RRO that I won't bitch about.

crazy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I lifted mine I put stock shocks for a Duango on they worked great and I think $30 for the pair.

Dusty

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rancho RSX 17004 for the rear Summit Racing did have them for 50 each

RSX 17505 for the front

keisersozae

Reaction score
where did you get your rsx17505's at, i have been searching and im not finding them online.

keisersozae

Reaction score
i have a bds 2" lift. these will work? im going to buy them now if so. it says that they are a shock, i previously bought struts, am i ******** or there is no difference.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
shocks/struts I have heard the fronts called both so no problem sorry for the mix up

anyplace should have either if going with the Ranchos part number RSX 17505 for the front and RSX 17004 for the rear havent checked lately on fronts but should be 80/90 bucks each rears 50 / 60 bucks each

Last edited:

keisersozae

Reaction score
i bought the ranchos yesterday from summit. should be here by the end of the week. i think i could rebuild the front of my liberty with my eyes closed. i hope after this i dont have to do it for a while. thanks for sharing your comments on what the difference between a shock and a strut are. i always thought that if the shock wasnt inside the spring, its a shock absorber. if it was inside the spring it was a strut. but hell i dont know.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought the ranchos yesterday from summit. should be here by the end of the week. i think i could rebuild the front of my liberty with my eyes closed. i hope after this i dont have to do it for a while. thanks for sharing your comments on what the difference between a shock and a strut are. i always thought that if the shock wasnt inside the spring, its a shock absorber. if it was inside the spring it was a strut. but hell i dont know.
A shock just dampens the spring compresion/rebound and has no structural place in the suspension.Can be located inside a coil spring or on the outside.

A strut is a shock on steroids,not only does it dampen the springs it also is a major structual part of the suspension(think McPherson strut suspension).Most FWD cars use struts,they have a lower control arm but no upper since the strut acts like one.

So even though we all call it a strut it is in fact a shock in the front of the KJ,to be techincal it is a "coil-over" shock/coil setup.

keisersozae

Reaction score
my ranchos came in today, its gonna be a busy night to say the least. gonna start about 8pm, hopefully will be done by 11pm or midnight at the latest.