shocks/struts/springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am not looking for a lift just new suspension. 58k on my 04 Renegade and front struts are shot.
What are the best shocks, struts and springs (no lift) for a daily driver, off road capable and somewhat stiff ride?

DJ

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you can snag a pair of stockers from the dealer on the cheap, maybe on clearance, you're only choice is aftermarket which will give you some lift. Or Find a pair of Diesel front springs and replace your stockers with those, that will stiffen it up in front. The least lift would be light duty OME, they will give you 1-2" of lift.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old Man Emu seems to be the vote so far. I will cruise the site and check it out. Thanks. Anything else let me know.

DJ

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rocky Road OUtfitters has the kit for $750. What does everyone think?

DJ

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We are very happy with the Frankenlift.(By in large OME coil springs with All J Products "Extras")
The suspension ***** up all the undulations both on and off road and our Liberty handles the way I hoped and expected it would!
Worth every expensive penny we paid for it!

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, I have to ask how much? The OME is $750 and the lift is only minor, from what i hear. Maybe I will just go with new struts and shocks, cheap way out.

DJ

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only kidding yourself going with just new shocks all around, your springs are toast as well!

Lift is only minor with OME????? where did you hear that? You can make the omes from about 1.75 to 2 inches up to 3.5 inches real easy and cheap. 650 or so should get you in the ball park of 4 new springs and shocks all around , yes shocks even though everyone likes to call the fronts struts:eek:;):rolleyes::D:D:D

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
, yes shocks even though everyone likes to call the fronts struts:eek:;):rolleyes::D:D:D

And they aren't? .....if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck..... then I though it was a strut! :D
Guess I need someone to explain to me what a strut is.
Shocks vs. Struts
"Often strut is confused with shock absorber. Though just like shock absorber, the strut too helps in the dampening of the movement of the suspension and gives control ride by keeping the tires in contact with the road yet it is quite different from shocks. For example shock is not the integral part of the suspension system whereas strut is both the structural and the integral part of the system. The outside structure of the strut and the shock absorber is also quite different. But speaking of the internal hydraulic systems then it is quite similar to twin tube shocks."

I would say the Libbys have struts since they are "structural and the intregral part of the system". You can remove a shock and still drive the vehicle, you remove a strut....dead in the water....just like on the front of a KJ.

If you are not interested in any lift, then you will have to go back with stock springs. Like Tom said, you can go with OME light duty and that will most likely only net you about 1 1/2-2" at most.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And they aren't? .....if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck..... then I though it was a strut! :D
Guess I need someone to explain to me what a strut is.
Shocks vs. Struts
"Often strut is confused with shock absorber. Though just like shock absorber, the strut too helps in the dampening of the movement of the suspension and gives control ride by keeping the tires in contact with the road yet it is quite different from shocks. For example shock is not the integral part of the suspension system whereas strut is both the structural and the integral part of the system. The outside structure of the strut and the shock absorber is also quite different. But speaking of the internal hydraulic systems then it is quite similar to twin tube shocks."

I would say the Libbys have struts since they are "structural and the intregral part of the system". You can remove a shock and still drive the vehicle, you remove a strut....dead in the water....just like on the front of a KJ.

If you are not interested in any lift, then you will have to go back with stock springs. Like Tom said, you can go with OME light duty and that will most likely only net you about 1 1/2-2" at most.

I see it both ways -

FWD with a true strut - there is no UCA - The strut pivots on a bearing and supports the vehicle.

Traditional Shock - vehicle can sit on it's wheels with shocks completely removed.

KJ system - integral part of the system but not quite like FWD. KJ Has a UCA. Actually, now that I think about it...isn't it just a coilover shock?

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see it both ways -

FWD with a true strut - there is no UCA - The strut pivots on a bearing and supports the vehicle.

Traditional Shock - vehicle can sit on it's wheels with shocks completely removed.

KJ system - integral part of the system but not quite like FWD. KJ Has a UCA. Actually, now that I think about it...isn't it just a coilover shock?

Yeah, guess you are right, it does have the UCA, didn't think about that when I replied. I still think it is an integral part as it controls height unlike a standard shock
Sorry Tom, you were right :rolleyes:.... like always!! :D

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, guess you are right, it does have the UCA, didn't think about that when I replied. I still think it is an integral part as it controls height unlike a standard shock
Sorry Tom, you were right :rolleyes:.... like always!! :D

Just sitting back and waiting.....you can do things two ways , argue the point or sit back and let it stew for a while, others voice their opinions and then everyone comes to the right choice, which is what I posted in the first place !!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, this turned into a pretty good discussion.(argue)
I am looking at the OME kit, light duty. This only lifts about 1.5" from what I can tell. Probably go with this.

DJ

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So it would be proper of me to say... "I need new shock for the front and rear!"

(Since the front is coil over shock...:) )

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since Troy said it maybe Tahoe will believe it now!:D:D:D:D:D

I said I was sorry the first time...kiss.gif
I just overlooked the UCA on the Libbys when I decided to dispute you.....sad2.gif I'll go sit in the corner now :D