Shifter button sticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nightowl007

Reaction score
I have noticed my shifter button is sticking from time to time. It is sticking bad enough I have to use two hands to get it to depress. Once I depress it once, it works fine for the day, but if it sits for more than 5 or 6 hours, it starts sticking again.

After seaching for a fix for this, I did not find anything on it. I can't believe I'm the only one who has ever had this issue. Does anyone know what is causing this and what I should do to fix it? Thanks.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you spilled some cherry limeade on it?...

That happened to my Xbox controller once. The X button would be sticky and hard to push in, after I'd use it the button would be fine. If I sat it down for an hour to take a dump or something and came back to finish playing more, it would be stuck again and need force to make it push in. I spilled some damn cherry limeade all up on it and it was that way ever since because I was too lazy to do anything about it.

I ended up selling it on craigslist. (The Xbox not the cherry limeade, Because I spilled that)

:shrug:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's the button itself, but the connection to the rod/bar that goes down the center of the shift rod and/or the lockout mechanism on the shifter (the actual part that prevents you from shifting without pushing the button). Since you have steel parts sliding along each other, a simple oiling may take care of it. Once you open up the console, you'll be able to see the moving parts.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I think about it more, before taking the console apart, you could try squirting penetrating oil between the button and shift knob to lube up where the end of the button pushes down on the vertical part. It may be squeaky dry or gunked up inside there.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually you can use any sort of high percentage alcohol or brake cleaner to clean sticky stuff if that's what it happens to be! That's what I use for my computer, anyways.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online