Sentry Key Immobilizer Programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodeWarrior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty that I have recently installed a new PCM in. A fuel injector went bad, low resistance in the injector burned out a driver in the PCM. Replaced PCM and injectors.

The Sentry Key Immobilizer is now throwing a fault in the PCM. A friend has access to a NAPA garage with a host of electronic tools and he swears that I can do this there rather than go to the dealership. I would like to believe that but just don't see it.

Would anyone have specific or general information about programming the Sentry Key Immobilzer System to work with the new PCM? The factory service manual has this to say:

If a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is replaced on a vehicle equipped with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS), the unique Secret Key data must be transferred from the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) to the new PCM using the PCM replacement procedure. This procedure also requires the use of a DRBIIIT scan tool and the unique four-digit PIN code to enter the Secured Access Mode in the SKIM. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information for the proper PCM replacement procedures.

Where do I get the 4-digit pin? Is it printed (surely not) on the SKIM somewhere? Would Jeep (either a dealship or other service center) look it up for me?

EDIT:
I found this site which gives some info with regard to Jeep Grand Cherokee: http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a new SKIM module for your new PCM. Once a SKIM is initialized to a PCM it can't be re-initialized to another. I could do this for you if you weren't' on the other side of the world. It will require a DRBIII or DRBIII emulator.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a new SKIM module for your new PCM. Once a SKIM is initialized to a PCM it can't be re-initialized to another. I could do this for you if you weren't' on the other side of the world. It will require a DRBIII or DRBIII emulator.

You sure about this?

My understanding is that only the Dealer has access to the SKIM code and can punch it into the new PCM. I have seen several posts like this and the owner has not needed to buy a new SKIM module after buying a used or new PCM...Dealer patches in new VIN, SKIS code etc.

On the other hand a SKIM model cannot be re-programmed....if the SKIM
needs replacing a brand new virgin one has to be bought from the Dealers who will then do the required programming.

Just asking...this is what the "reliable" Service manuals all say!:)

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure about this?

My understanding is that only the Dealer has access to the SKIM code and can punch it into the new PCM. I have seen several posts like this and the owner has not needed to buy a new SKIM module after buying a used or new PCM...Dealer patches in new VIN, SKIS code etc.

On the other hand a SKIM model cannot be re-programmed....if the SKIM
needs replacing a brand new virgin one has to be bought from the Dealers who will then do the required programming.

Just asking...this is what the "reliable" Service manuals all say!:)

Hard experience. Once a SKIM module has been paired to a PCM, it cannot be transferred to another. Believe me or not. It's your vehicle.

CodeWarrior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I was able to get the SKIM PIN codes and key codes from the dealer. Their service guy told me that they could re-program (not replace). It would just cost 1hr @ $140.

Interestingly, I had been told that putting the new PCM in would throw a DTC when it did not recognize the SKIM. I installed mine, and I have no trouble codes (related to SKIM, I have an ambient air circuit code though). The vehicle starts up fine and everything is good. NPC Automotive Computers told me just now on the phone that they setup the security programming in the computer. I am assuming that there is some "Learn" mode that can be set to learn the SKIM of the vehicle into which the new (remanned) PCM is installed. Regardless, everything appears to be working for me. Now to get the Key Fob programmed....

Latest posts

Members online