Securing cargo to roof rack (locking)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys -- I am planning a drive with my Liberty to California from Illinois in the next few weeks. I have a Rola roof carrier basket along with their expandable hitch tray cargo bag and a bungee cargo net. While this has served me well for camping, I've always been near the car overnight.

On the way to Cali I will probably have 2 overnights and want to try and deter someone from stealing stuff on the top of my car. Any ideas or products that you guys have seen that might work best for this? I suppose I could run a huge chain across the top with a big lock but figured you all might have some better ideas! :)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly, I know this sounds like a pain, but when I drive to CO from WI with the skis on the roof and luggage on a hitch rack, when I stop for the night I just off loaded those into the inside. Took about 20 mins to do and ensures the best safety for the stuff. Granted that was with the LR3 so I could fit more stuff in it, so depending on what you have to carry that could be an option.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the ironies of any locking device or whatever is that a truly motivated thief could just unbolt the rack and carry the whole works away where they can take their time going through it. I think HoosierJeeper's idea is worth doing. Personally, even if it took me an hour to stow everything that would not approach the level of hassle I would have if I came out of a hotel room and found that all my stuff had disappeared. Unless my room was on the third floor and there was no elevator, I might even take it into my room with me.

I have the Rage Black Widow crossbars (and rack, etc.) and even went to the trouble of reversing the "easy off/on" bolts so they were on the inside. It took me way longer to install them because I had to stick my hand through the rack itself to get them tightened down, but at least it will take someone else just as long to get them back off again. The way they were designed to be used, one guy on each side of the Jeep could have twisted them loose in a minute or two, then they slide the whole deal off the back and are gone.