Scrape sound in front left wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been recently having a scraping sound in my front left wheel (I think, it's front end for sure), but nothing is on the ground. It happens with every rotation of my wheel, and yesterday I was driving down the road with my windows down and heard someone else's KJ doing it too. Has anyone else had this/ know what it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yewtree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a scraping sound and it was the shim that fits in with the brake pads had slightly rusted and one side was rubbing on the hub as it rotated

phil

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the CV axles boots. They can dry and wear. Seems like a pertty common issue and is easy to figure out. If you see a leak or find an opening in the boots, change the CV axle. they are not that expensive.

bigyellowjimmy

Reaction score
Typically this type of sound comes from worn brake pads, either the pad being worn to the point that there is no pad left, aka metal on metal. Also can be the warning bar which makes a scraping noise to alert the driver that the pads needs replaced. Typically its an inside pad that wears first.

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be wheel bearing too. Definitely not as easy as fixing brakes! We had a van that had noisy brakes. Dealer shrugged it off as air bubbles in the disk castings. Chrysler thing...lol

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting a sound like this too from my front left wheel but it is only when the tire is turned going around a corner, Wheel bearings were done a couple thousand kms ago, Going to take the wheel off and have a look at the caliper/pads this weekend.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you describe the sound a little more?
For example, I'm getting a slight 'shing shing' sound the jeep moves which I think is like what yewtree mentioned.

Members online