Scoured threads for info on lift..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogue

Reaction score
The 8 is to wide for the tires that will fit the Liberty. If you offroad and air down your tires you could unseat your tire. Those Blackrock wheels look great but check the weight difference between them and your factory wheels. I had the 16x8's and the difference in unsprung weight really hurt my gas mileage. I went back to the factory wheels with the same size tires and my mpg's went right back to where they were. If thats not an issue for you then go for the Blackrocks in 16x7.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had read here: Jeep Liberty/Tires & Rims - Wikibooks, open books for an open world
that a common choice is the stock 16x8" wheel from the Jeep Wrangler Rubicion.
Is there any particular reason I should go with the 7" vs the 8"?

What you have to also consider is the fact that the Rubicon Moab wheels are 5 inches of backspacing. SO if you had went with a 16X8 with 4 inches of backspacing you'd have issues with rubbing everywhere around the front tires
PLUS the fact that like mentioned above there is no need at all for the size tires we can run. Granted I run the MOABs but sure wish they were only 7 inches wide

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the MOABs but sure wish they were only 7 inches wide

Why is that Tom the 7" wide that is? I am considering 17x8's for my KK just to make sure I clear calipers. I did see 15x8, 15x7 w/ 4-4.5" BS supposedly these fit the KK. any thoughts?

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rogue has the answer above :)

i should stick to the 7's correct?
So to get a wider stance instead of going to 8's can I use a 1.5" spacer?
or do ya'll not recomend it. I am as wide as I can get with the 7's and on a side note: my KK has bigger wheel wells than the KJ if that makes any diff

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
from experience 16X8 with 4 inches of backspacing will rub on a KK
7 inch with 4 inch BS will still sit the tire out to the edge of the flare

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from experience 16X8 with 4 inches of backspacing will rub on a KK
7 inch with 4 inch BS will still sit the tire out to the edge of the flare

Yep the 17x7's i got on there now have the widest I can get I belive and they are at the flare edge.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I have no complaints about my spacers (adapters actually) ... they let me keep my stock wheels and turn at full lock ... minor plastic trimming but all internal. I am obsessive about checking the torque on them though, even though they are locktite'd in there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Backspacing is what gets us on both the KJs and KKs
Not much room for any variation unless you SFA it !!:flash:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backspacing backspacing backspacing. I'm still a tad bit confused on it. So say if I had a wheel with 5 in of bs and a wheel with 4 in, which would set the wheels farther out?

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backspacing backspacing backspacing. I'm still a tad bit confused on it. So say if I had a wheel with 5 in of bs and a wheel with 4 in, which would set the wheels farther out?

I belive the 5 would put you out but Im not totally sure :think:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
BACKSPACING
Now I'm not a teacher ( thats my wifes job :emotions36:)
But I'll try and explain
Picture a wheel that is 7 inches wide, 0 back spacing would be when the middle of the wheel ( part where the lugs are, so 3.5 inches to the front same to the rear) Now four inches of backspacing would have the middle of the wheel sitting 4 inches from center ( towards the front of the rim ) dang wish I had a picture
But anyways 5 inches would sit back over the rotor 5 inches from center so would be more than 4 inches
clear as mud??
I'll try and find a picture here this evening too hot to mow hay anyways
here you go this may help some
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

so the more backspacing the farther it sits back over the hub

Last edited:

vegaskj

Reaction score
Alrighty then. Thanks for the influx of discussion. So I went went with the 16X7s w/ 4" backspacing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brw-942671240

So, I accept your reasoning for going w/ 7" over 8", but do still wonder what the reasoning for listing the 16X8s in the wiki-book.

Anyway thanks, & I may be ready for some (light) Rubicon trail travel soon myself now!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Alrighty then. Thanks for the influx of discussion. So I went went with the 16X7s w/ 4" backspacing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brw-942671240

So, I accept your reasoning for going w/ 7" over 8", but do still wonder what the reasoning for listing the 16X8s in the wiki-book.

Anyway thanks, & I may be ready for some (light) Rubicon trail travel soon myself now!

I've glanced through a couple of the WIKIs on the KJs
some of the info in there is WAY off base IMO
and of course some was written in the beginning with what they knew at that time. Since then we've changed the game somewhat. Just like back in 04 yet 2.5 inches of lift was the most you could ever have, we've blown that out of the water

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so basically the less backspacing you have the further it sets the wheel out past the fender?