Scoured threads for info on lift..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vegaskj

Reaction score
[EDIT: Aaaand I just realized I posted this to the KK forum. Could a mod move me over the the KJ side?]
I should start out by saying I've been lurking about here since 2011 & never posted before, so Hi!

Now, I am finally getting ready to lift my 2006 KJ...

I hope that I'm not just re-hashing all the other similar threads to much, but I have read through as many of the stickies & other forum posts as I can, searched the web, determined not to go with the rocky-road, daystar etc (as these two seem to have been pretty roundly slammed on these boards), and have since been trying to piece a setup together.

First, If I can still get reasonable lift in the front without new shocks & springs, I'd like to, as the ones on there are only a couple years old (Stock replacements - MONROE 171577R assembly). Am I correct in thinking that a clevis spacer & strut plate spacer would be enough in the front? Or am I missing something.
Specifically: Clevis Spacer for Front Struts & Strut spacer plate set
Should I also use taller bump stops?

As for the rear, since neither the springs nor shocks are newer I was thinking,
Ironman Rear Coil Springs <-- I think these will work right?
BILSTEIN - Heavy Duty 2.5" Lift Rear Shock
Rear upper coil spring isolator <--X2 ea

With that setup, I should expect about 2 - 2.5 in the rear & how much in the front? I think I have gathered from the forums that any kind of spacer on the bottom of the strut is generally frowned on, correct?

Thanks for any input :burnout:

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would do a complete kit, your front suspension may only be a couple of years old , but they are still worn. Mixing them, old front with new rear would not result in a good ride in the long run
Plus with a clevis and top plate you'll only get 1.25 inches , then the back will end up higher than the front
Any quality lift is a balancing act between the front and rear suspensions, if you don't do it all you may as well not do any of it.

vegaskj

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I was uncertain as to how much lower the front would wind up being.

So I guess that approach is out. I can always stick the old front shocks & coils in the garage in case I need them later.

How about this instead;
- Ironman coils all around
- Bilstein 24-139168 front shocks
- Bilstein 24-185240 rear shocks (according to shockwarehouse these fit a 2002 4wd dakota)
- Bump stops, front and rear
- 1 or 2 extra top isos in the rear
- 1/4" strut plate spacers
- & adjusting the clevis as needed

Does anyone see any problems with this setup?

vegaskj

Reaction score
Thanks Cardhu, would have sucked if I ordered the wrong ones... Think I'll be getting the 33-185859's then

vegaskj

Reaction score
Alright then. I'm going to order the 24-185240 rear shocks, as they are somewhat cheaper than the 33-185859 cardhu mentioned...
Thanks Tom, Cardhu & Hoosier!

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the Teraflex and wheel spacers in because it was time for new tires, and wanted bigger than stock without destroying my wallet.

Jeep handles better than stock IMO. Probably not as good as a more complete lift kit, but it did the job.

vegaskj

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about just doing spacers, but ultimately decided I wanted to go with taller springs / shocks. I'll post back with my two cents after i get the parts and do the install.

Also, I was wondering; how tall of a bump stop have people been using in the rear for a setup similar to mine?

vegaskj

Reaction score
Finally got my hockey pucks... Turns out you can't buy them anywhere around here with out driving an hour and a half or paying $6 a piece at Big 5... So I ordered them on amazon.

Finally though, I am ready to go! got my shocks, springs, rear spacers, front top plates, bought / made bump stops, made brake line relocation brackets, extra rear isos & clevis spacers!

So, before I start this all tomorrow morning any pro advice / experience tips from anyone out there?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just don't over think it, super easy to do
If you get stuck someones always on here to help

vegaskj

Reaction score
Heh, I was actually just getting ready to finally finish it up this weekend... Procrastination.
BUT.. I just got a call from the guy I was having assemble the front strut (didn't want to deal with spring compressors myself...) and he tells me the 24-139168 Bilsteins I got are too short.
Sooo... Did I get the wrong ones?

Last edited:

vegaskj

Reaction score
Hmm, so what he said was that once the springs were compressed to fit the shock, there just wasn't much clearance between the coils... Is this really a problem? Or MAYBE, I should just tell him to leave out the bottom spring seat?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, so what he said was that once the springs were compressed to fit the shock, there just wasn't much clearance between the coils... Is this really a problem? Or MAYBE, I should just tell him to leave out the bottom spring seat?
DO NOT leave the bottom iso out unless you want a bad rattle
here they are installed
You must be registered for see images attach

vegaskj

Reaction score
DO NOT leave the bottom iso out unless you want a bad rattle

Yeah... Understood. That spring is pretty compressed. & I suppose maybe they just didn't realize it would be so...
Well, Gonna try some place else now i guess..
Here it is prior to assambly
4272-bil-iron.jpg

vegaskj

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed replies... busy busy.
& thanks Tommudd, HJ & everyone else whos collective knowledge is reflected on these boards. It is finally all done! Looks & rides great! I don't know how I would have muddled my way through this without your help.

I'll post some pics soon.

Now, before I can test her out off road, I need to add the final touch of wheels & tires...
I've done a lot of looking around over the past week or two, & here's what I've come up with:

Black Rock Series 942 Type D, 16 in. x 8 in., Steel, Matte Black, 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4.25 in. Backspace
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brw-942681242
&
Kumho Road Venture AT KL78 LT245/75R16
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Road+Venture+AT+KL78&partnum=475QR6KL78OWL10

Can't wait!