School me on a CRD Pro's and Con's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Looking to get another KJ, while in the search found a CRD that's exactly what I'm looking for but I know very little about them. My plan is to lift it like the previous Renegade I had. OME coils, Biltstein shocks and struts, strut spacers, clevis adjustment, additional coil pads in the back to get that 2.5" level lift and probably run 30" tires, 245/75/16's or 255/70/16's. I'm very familiar with the 3.7 maintenance and being relatively issue free from my experiences with the two I've owned driving both between 40-135k mileage range. Is the CRD relatable to the consistency of the 3.7? Here is the link to the one I'm considering. Note that the drivers side passenger door rocker cover has been replaced now so its not missing. It was in very good condition with just over 130k miles. Very very torquey I was impressed with that and think it could serve to be very beneficial with running bigger tires like I plan. The seller was asking $8750 for it and I'm not sure how much more CRD's are but the limited 3.7 gas burners in my area with similar age and mileage are selling for $6500-7500 so not sure I'm willing to pay the difference if there's not a lot of added value with the CRD. It was sort of loud compared to my wifes 3.7 kj and you could feel the knock/shake, I personally liked it but wasn't sure if that was normal. Any insight would be beneficial, thanks!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Seems like people have to do a shit ton of mods to them for them to be reliable...not like a gas KJ where you just go. I know the timing belts on them need to be done every 5-7 years/ 100k miles. But they should drive better than a gasser. Can't lift them as high though because of the front diff being shifted towards the drivers side more or something.

Good to see you back on here in any case!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Loud is unusual, look underneath and see if the muffler's been removed. The stock CRD muffler is a choke point in an otherwise 2.5" system. Price seems steep unless it's had all the mods CRDs seem to need and want. Timing belt changes before 100,000 miles or 6 years are critical and complex involving special tools. Dealer support is rare to non-existant for these engines.

Plus stuff to look for:
GDE tune
ARP head studs
Provent oil seperator
Weeks/Sasquatch EGR bypass
in tank lift pump (or inline)
Gen II fuel filter head (blue connector)
new rockers
new water pump

There's probably more I'm not thinking of.
LOST KJs is the uber-forum for the CRDs.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Seems like people have to do a shit ton of mods to them for them to be reliable...not like a gas KJ where you just go. I know the timing belts on them need to be done every 5-7 years/ 100k miles. But they should drive better than a gasser. Can't lift them as high though because of the front diff being shifted towards the drivers side more or something.

Good to see you back on here in any case!

Thanks HJ! I just read some similar threads that resembled what you mentioned, so not sure a CRD is for me

Loud is unusual, look underneath and see if the muffler's been removed. The stock CRD muffler is a choke point in an otherwise 2.5" system. Price seems steep unless it's had all the mods CRDs seem to need and want. Timing belt changes before 100,000 miles or 6 years are critical and complex involving special tools. Dealer support is rare to non-existant for these engines.

Plus stuff to look for:
GDE tune
ARP head studs
Provent oil seperator
new rockers
new water pump

The dealer was just a mom and pop shop that probably bought it at an auction or something he didn't know any specifics about it. I could smell exhaust pretty well while it was running and I was doing a walk around so the sound could have been an exhaust leak.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score

Plus stuff to look for:
GDE tune
ARP head studs
Provent oil seperator
new rockers
new water pump

I echo what is being written here by turblediesel. However, he did forget to mention that the O.E. engine thermostat assembly is horrible, and the proper upgrade is the assembly that I manufacture.

There are necessary upgrades to make the CRD produce all of the power, fuel economy and reliability that it is capable of... do not scrimp on these upgrades and you will have a great ride for many years. My thermostat is one of them.

There are also optional upgrades you might want to consider that will further the reliability and fuel economy of a CRD, like the installation of a Webasto TSL17 diesel fired engine heater. With a TSL17, you will never have to idle the vehicle up anymore to warm it up, and the engine always starts at about 170 degrees, even during the coldest weather imaginable.

Once you do get the upgrades, the CRD is a very, very good vehicle for a 4X4 that is a step or two below the off-road capabilities of a Wrangler. It will eat a RAV4, Escape, or a CRV for breakfast, and it will tow a lot more as well.

joeysjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey blue I'm in the jonesboro area also. 8500 seemed high to me I only paid 2000 for my 02 3.7 without a front driveshaft. Cool to see another NEA member on here. When I get my lift on we will have to get together and go wheeling or something.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's something about the CRD that is very attractive to me - probably the added torque which would be great for towing my boat. Plus the fact that I like to drive 'different' vehicles and the KJ alone is a different model line - add in the CRD and now it's really different. :ROFLJest:

I know a couple of diesel mechanics around here that I'm sure would work on a CRD for me - but parts are the wild card. But CRD's usually come very well equipped (as the one you linked to certainly is) so you get stuff on them that a small slice of gassers get. I've wheeled with CRD's and the damn things just grunt their way up steep grades while us gassers have to goose the skinny pedal to climb the same trail.

The particular CRD you're looking at is certainly clean. It's missing the engine cover and I'm sure you can find out several other things that are "irregular" so there's no harm in offering them $7500 and see what they say. Let the know you're aware of the timing belt needing replacement (even if it doesn't :happy175: ) and other CRD-specific maintenance items you'll need to do so it's safe for your wife to drive... :gr_grin:

Lots of maintenance and oddball repairs that the gassers don't have to deal with - but the CRD is still really attractive to me... :manos:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know the CRD lovers will hate on me for this but seems like you have to do so much to them just to keep them going, lots of mods etc.
Plus I put them almost in the same place as the old GM diesels that were based on the 350. Never worked good and lots of issues.
NOW with that being said, if they would of continued on with them, gave the dealerships more training on dealing with the issues they may have been a better alternative.
Power is there yes, agree but amount to keep them going properly turns me off on owning one. Plus parts being harder to source etc
Just like the 3.7 better/ easier etc