Scba oba

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So I have been given two, well actually 6, low pressure 2216psi Scott air pack bottles by my fire cheif. We upgraded from steel bottles to high pressure bottles 4500psi.

So I still wanted my rear shelf. I took a fire extinguisher mount and mod it to fit. Cut back the side panel and mounted it with screws in eight places. Cut a hole in my self so the bottle sticks out....oh what! Now the bottle neck can be knocked off. Well that's why my next step is building a "cage" for the top of the bottle.

I have to find a regulator if I don't want to use a 02 regulator off welding kit. At 2200 psi I can refill 6, 32 inch tires no promblems. I'm sure even more but that's what I've seen it do. We run a ajax reg for pneumatic tools on rescue jobs off these same bottles....And best bet....its free to refill, heck yea!!!

Soap box alart:
I know...I know someone is gonna say its dangerous....blah blah. First I go inside burning buildings with high pressure tanks on my back. And you don't baby them tanks. Secound, They are stored on the engine with hardly anything holding them in. Most of the time they just sit in a holder. And just strapped in place on the cascade trailer. Third its almost free. Fourth my mount I can grab the bottle and the whole jeep can be shaken with it. And rig welders have flammable gases strapped to their rigs....mines just filtered air.

I know the benefits of Co2 but I can't spend that much. And cost of refill and fuel cost to get it refilled. Plus its a project.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

brokendad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the same idea, but with no knowledge in the use of these tanks. Can the bottle be used in a horizontal position? The used tanks are fairly inexpensive but have inspection dates on them do these apply when not used for breathing? Looks Good.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't leave them inside your Jeep when fully filled,or anything above halg filled.On a hot summer day that 2200psi will suddenly turn to 4400psi with CO2.

No matter what all the tanks regardless have to be inspected and a new pop-off valve installed every 5 years.The fill places will not refill unless the inspection date is not current.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brokendad
Yes you can use a scba tank in any position. Usually they are mounted on our backs upside down. But they also work laying down and upside down a few stories up.....

Tjkj
Its filled with air (78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen). I can guarantee that if they can be stacked fully charged in a hot fire engine and taken into a 1300 degree fire, it will be ok in my jeep......again its air in a scott scba bottle. Not co2.

These tanks are fully in serviceable condition and just been hydro tested a few days ago. We have a cascade system so I fill them at the fire station.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Would love to find some old bottle's like those,
want to make a couple of wind chimes

Deuxdiesel

Reaction score
Great use for those old tanks! My only concern would be internal corrosion, but if you are filling them with dry air from a cascade system, it shouldn't be a problem. A set of 4500 composite bottles would be a sweet upgrade.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we had them tested they took the valve off and looked inside. They are clean. I wanted a 4500 bottle but cheif said in a few years when we get them tested again he will throw me one!

Latest posts

Members online