Rusty's Skid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going wheeling later this month, decided i REALLY need a skid plate. The Rusty's one is nice and cheap - how strong is it? I see it's 3/16ths guage steel - just like the Rocky Road Outfitters one. However it's over $100 cheaper - and simply requires drilling one hole...i can easily drill a hole! I imagine both being 3/16ths guage still there can't be much different in their strength.

The one at boulderbar's is abotu the same price as the one at rocky's, but it's 1/4" steel so it's a bit thicker.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going wheeling later this month, decided i REALLY need a skid plate. The Rusty's one is nice and cheap - how strong is it? I see it's 3/16ths guage steel - just like the Rocky Road Outfitters one. However it's over $100 cheaper - and simply requires drilling one hole...i can easily drill a hole! I imagine both being 3/16ths guage still there can't be much different in their strength.

The one at boulderbar's is abotu the same price as the one at rocky's, but it's 1/4" steel so it's a bit thicker.
Go for the Super Skid,you wound be sorry for it(except maybe your arms from insatlling it).

You can have 2 skids made out of the same thickness of steel and 1 will be way stronger then the other,it's how it is shaped,if there is trusses,and what kind of steel used.The Rusty's is flat,no raised edges or trusses so it is weak.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man...just didn't want to spend $300 on a skid. I'll have to think about that.

edit: I'm pretty sure i can buy the necessary steel for about $40 and build one as good as that super skid with my dad's help. Maybe i'll just bring the jeep over there and we'll weld one up.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How crazily strong do you need the skid to be? Weigh out your needs...just because one is much stronger it doesn't mean that you need it. On the other hand, skid plate = insurance, and you can never have too much. It's a balancing act, cost-benefit ;)

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you going wheeling in AZ? If for some reason you decide to go with RRO, make sure they have it IN STOCK, before you give them your cc number. They have a really checkered past dealing with customer service. It's a Skid Row plate anyway, so you might look somewhere else for it too. Never dealt with Rusty's skids before, but if I remember right they had some strange bend in the plate that got hung up on things.

Like TJKJ said though, go with the ALL J super skid, couple dollars more, but well worth the price. I have beat the crap out of mine in CA, AZ and Moab and it's held up to what it's put through. Also post up when you ready for the install i'm sure you could get some of us AZ folks to help out. what ever you choose though,something is better than nothing.
later, mike

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never had problems with the stock Mopar ****** skid. Ive never came down ******* it, but I have slid over it and it didnt bend at all.

The first time you give it a good hit then its gone... It could take the ****** also depending on how hard you hit it.

Latest posts

Members online