Rustys lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raceinfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUY IT !! it's a very good lift for the money & has been proven time & time again,even at MOAB,now it you want to spend more you can get the Frankenlift from All J products boulderbars.com this also is an awesome lift & proven

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good kit, some have problems with the rear shocks giving out early, some haven't. If you do putting a set of Rancho RS17004X shocks on will fix it.

jkl

Reaction score
ive wheeled this lift pretty hard right along side of the franky's and ive had no issues.. other than the rear shocks.. tell rusty to keep his and order some ranchos.

after that, you'll be in good shape.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm thinking about this lift, too. I've got an '02 Limited 4x4 and I want to run 245/75-16's or even 235/85-16's (for more clearance). Am I on the right track?

Also, it's been mentioned that Rancho shocks are the way to go here. Will Rusty cut the price on his kit if you don't get the shocks?

Also, how difficult of an install is it? Can it be done by one person with limited mechanical experience? Are the directions "idiot proof"?

Finally, if I end up buying my lift and new tires at different times, is it gonna look completely stupid with the lift and stock tires for a short period of time?

jpm

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if I get this coil lift, then would it be wise to add the spacer lift as well or would that be unneeded, overkill, or just plain stupid?

jpm

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ02Ltd said:
Guys, I'm thinking about this lift, too. I've got an '02 Limited 4x4 and I want to run 245/75-16's or even 235/85-16's (for more clearance). Am I on the right track?

Also, it's been mentioned that Rancho shocks are the way to go here. Will Rusty cut the price on his kit if you don't get the shocks?

Also, how difficult of an install is it? Can it be done by one person with limited mechanical experience? Are the directions "idiot proof"?

Finally, if I end up buying my lift and new tires at different times, is it gonna look completely stupid with the lift and stock tires for a short period of time?

jpm

It don't come with any directions, but you really don't need them. It's pretty straight forward thought. Here is the post to directions to a similar kit if you just want to look.
http://boulderbars.com/images/kj_pr...FT_4Wheel_Drive_and_Sport_Utility_Article.pdf

It will take some time if it is your first time. If you don't have a spring compressor, then I suggest you take the old strut assemblies out and bring it to a shop to install the new springs and struts. They shouldn't charge anymore than 25-40 dollars. Call around to your local garages, stay away from the pep-boys, Midas type places. Most of them won't do or will charge over 100 dollars.

Stock tires look fine, until you upgrade. You don't want to add a spacer lift on top of Rusty's because it will end up to high. However, you can add a few small shim sized spacers to give you a bit more height. Read here
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15164

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info, Eddo. Would it be advisable to try the 235/85-16 with this lift? I'm thinking it might work since it's stock width. I've heard of it being used before, but not sure what size lift it went with.

jpm

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ02Ltd said:
Good info, Eddo. Would it be advisable to try the 235/85-16 with this lift? I'm thinking it might work since it's stock width. I've heard of it being used before, but not sure what size lift it went with.

jpm

Yes you can get them to work but, it takes more work and money!
245/75/16's would be a lot less problems.

If gas mileage is a not concern, plan on 12-14 mpg. with the 235/85/16's, more torque and power loss, rear bump stops for the spring perch and an extra pair of rear upper spring isolators to limit stuffing, relocate a new washer bottle, pound over pinch weld with either size tire, and alot more cutting in the front fog light area (some have cut the whole corner of the plastic bumper out and looks good), spyder Trax 1 1/4" wheel spacers to get tires away from sway bar or just contend with the rubbing.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, ok, so I'll do the 245/75 thing. Next question, will 245/75 GY/MTR's work alright or will the aggressive tread design require some extra trimming?

Reason being, I'm thinking of putting a lift on my 2003 Ranger FX4 and fitting 285/75-16's on it, but I don't want to do it just yet. Since the Ranger needs tires anyway, I could put the 245/75's on it for now and wheel it until I get the $ for the lift like that. Then when I lift it and put the 285's on it, I could move the 245's over to the KJ.

jpm

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, and pinch weld still needs to be pounded over flat, use heat gun on front fog light area to soften and push in some. You'll see where it rubs when you mount them, adjust as necessary.