Rusty's 2.5" suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there using the suspension kit from Rusty's
2.5" (front and rear springs, shocks and struts). Just curious cause it is quite a bit cheaper than the OME kit. Thanks

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone out there using the suspension kit from Rusty's
2.5" (front and rear springs, shocks and struts). Just curious cause it is quite a bit cheaper than the OME kit. Thanks

I had it last year for awhile, nothing wrong with it....just the front springs are same rating as stock...so you will sit higher but still have stock feel. OME are better for spring rating, stiffer feeling ride and apparently won't sag as fast as Rusty's. :rolleyes: Tell you the truth, the Rusty's front springs were/are as good as OME for height wise anyways.

Alot of people will tell you that they are crap...not true..they are good for the price.

Let's see how many LOST boys will chime in on this....hehehe

TommyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, they might be alright for me, I don't do much off road just looking for the lifted look.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Perfectly fine kit...just be aware of the sag issue....they will sag like the stock springs....but for the price- not bad...oh btw the rear shocks you get with the kit...they *****, get new rear shocks.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say it first and I am not even allowed on LOST
The springs will sag like some 80 year old b***$
I know of 1 guy who had this kit and it had maybe 5K more miles on it than what our
KJ has on its OME med springs
we run 245/75's and he runs 30 X 9.5's so we sit about 1/2" higher due to tire
but side by side ours is more like 1.5" higher
they both have about 35K or so on the kits
oh and his smaller tires rub due to lack of lift
and his front sagged much more than the rear so it sits like a '70's sports car

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
My OME springs are sagging too, everyday I get more rub from the springs sagging. So it just goes to show ya that all springs will sag, some just faster than others.

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Rustys lift on for almost two years and it was great for the first year or so. But it sagged 1 1/2 inches over the next year in the front. Had to prop it up with a clevis lift. Finally changed to OME heavy duty springs two weeks ago and it rides a little stiffer but not much. The rear Rustys shocks will only last about six months.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rusty's coils are all 300lbs spring rate no matter for what vehicle(fronts),depending on trim level(CRD excluded) the rusty's coils can be softer then your OEM coils.Also if you have bought OME coils in about the last 2 years you have the China made OME coils,they are no longer made in Australia like they used to be and those newer coils will sag faster then the older versions.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Rusty's coils are all 300lbs spring rate no matter for what vehicle(fronts),depending on trim level(CRD excluded) the rusty's coils can be softer then your OEM coils.Also if you have bought OME coils in about the last 2 years you have the China made OME coils,they are no longer made in Australia like they used to be and those newer coils will sag faster then the older versions.

They are sagging that's for sure. I have rub now that wasn't there a couple months ago...then again I am wheeling the old girl harder than I have before.

josh1984

Reaction score
Perfectly fine kit...just be aware of the sag issue....they will sag like the stock springs....but for the price- not bad...oh btw the rear shocks you get with the kit...they *****, get new rear shocks.

how are the front struts in that kit?>> edit.... or do they not come with them

Last edited:

TommyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like what you are saying is that whatever springs I get they are going to sag eventually so why spend the extra money!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
97,000 on OME springs and although they are starting to sag now , they have not nearly sagged as much as one Rustys spring kit I installed for another LOST member and he only has maybe 30,000 miles on his, its dropped over 1/5 to 2 inches

Spend the money now and be happier in the future

Macgyver

Reaction score

Hey guys just a quick word about OME springs......They are still made in Australia in the same plant as always. The springs we are getting now are the same quality OME springs we have always recieved. Please don't confuse the OME coils with the DAKAR leaf springs that are made in their Thailand plant. All KJ coils are made in Australia, same as always.

Just please be aware!

Quinn
All J Products

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick word about OME springs......They are still made in Australia in the same plant as always. The springs we are getting now are the same quality OME springs we have always recieved. Please don't confuse the OME coils with the DAKAR leaf springs that are made in their Thailand plant. All KJ coils are made in Australia, same as always.

Just please be aware!

Quinn
All J Products

Thanks Quinn....glad you cleared that up!! We seem to have a few people who almost know what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rusty's for 90K kms (56K miles)

Hey, been running a Rusty's lift since April '06. 56K miles later and still good. Had to change out the rear shocks, using Skyjacker N8088's. No noticeable sag. The kit took about 3 hours total to install and then an alignment. Rusty's warrantee covers the struts when they wear out. Just have to ship them back. Begs the question though. What to do while you wait for new struts?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the front rustys springs for 2 years now with no sagging or other issues. OME everywhere else for springs and shocks.