Rubber boot stuck on spark plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertySport

Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas on how to remove the rubber housing from the ignition coil on a spark plug?

I believe this is what maybe throwing the code for P0303 (cylinder 3 misfire). I have a plug and coil ready for replacement.

I originally replaced it with a Duralast coil. 1st one was defective and the 2nd one I used to replace has melted.

Nothing else could possibly throwing the misfire code. Fuel system is good (pump, injectors, etc..), New NGK plugs and new coils. Just this one is melted that I cannot replace.

Thanks.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if thats what it is i think you can cut it down a bit to geth the socket on .

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had similar issue with a honda. i let the engine heat up a bit and i was able to get it out ...though the boot was still attached to the plastic thing.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
get a bbq skewer and make a hook at the end.
use it to fish it out.
Brian did you say fish?...
52783[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

:fish_h4h::fishing1:

Attachments

• A%20Telescopic%20Fishing%20Test.jpg
    A%20Telescopic%20Fishing%20Test.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plug boot removal tool

Take the 2 stainless steel supports from an old windshield wiper blade. Bend a sharp U shaped bend in one end and cut one leg off about 3/16" from the bottom of the U to form a hook. Make 2 and slide them to the outside of the broken boot 180 degrees apart, hook the boot and pull. Usually comes right off. If boot really stuck, grind or file a 45 degree angle on one end of a straight piece of wiper blade stainless steel support and force it between the inside of the boot and plug porcelain to break the boot's grip, then use your hooks. The wiper blade stainless supports ( about 0.045" wide by 18" long) make great tools for all kind of uses. Best of all they are free often found in wiper blades in the trash barrel when exiting parts stores. I keep a supply on hand for all kinds of special uses on my vehicles.