How Do I test PCM signals to Coil Pack 5/2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eloudon123

Reaction score
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7L 4WD 203,000 miles

Code: P0302 misfire on 2

I have done spark plugs, spark plug wires, replaced the coil pack that fires 5 and 2, and made sure it's not a fuel injector or fuel injector wires.

It's time to check if this is caused by PCM communication to the coil pack. Replaced the PCM with a plug and play 2 years ago because of alternator issues. It's under warranty. If I can confirm that the PCM is causing the issue, I can get it replaced for free.

Does anyone have a diagram showing the connectors and pins of a 2011 Jeep Liberty PCM? I don't even know which pins control which functions, and no amound of googling has helped me find this.

How do I test the PCM to make sure it's not causing the misfire? Please be very specific. I am new to electrical testing, so this is a big learning experience.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an older post but did the PCM end up being your issue? I'm chasing a similar issue with mine. I don't know if the PCM issue for misfires persisted into the 2011/2012 model years. In the KJ years it usually resulted in a complete failure of coil ignition due to an internal ground burning out.

dtennes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7L 4WD 203,000 miles

Code: P0302 misfire on 2

I have done spark plugs, spark plug wires, replaced the coil pack that fires 5 and 2, and made sure it's not a fuel injector or fuel injector wires.

It's time to check if this is caused by PCM communication to the coil pack. Replaced the PCM with a plug and play 2 years ago because of alternator issues. It's under warranty. If I can confirm that the PCM is causing the issue, I can get it replaced for free.

Does anyone have a diagram showing the connectors and pins of a 2011 Jeep Liberty PCM? I don't even know which pins control which functions, and no amound of googling has helped me find this.

How do I test the PCM to make sure it's not causing the misfire? Please be very specific. I am new to electrical testing, so this is a big learning experience.
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same apparent problem (p0304) on cyl 4.

dtennes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got what sounds like the same problem as yours. Please look here if you have a minute and share your thoughts, thanks!

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the same issue with my 2010 Liberty. When it throws the code there has been probably 2 to 3 months in-between. I changed the plugs, coils and wires to no avail. I was thinking it might be a fuel issue. We have been getting some bad gas here! (water).