Roof rack from Amazon.. is it worth it? (07 KJ)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoupleOfTaytos

Couple Of Taytos
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

I'm looking to add a roof rack in a month or two to my 2007 KJ. I was thinking of buying one off of Amazon (link at bottom of my post), and saw that a lot of reviews/YT videos saying that within a couple of rain showers rust forms from the joint welds/slight openings of the rack...

However, I've seen some post on other sites/YT videos saying that there is ways around this. Some say putting silicone sealant (anti rust) on joint welds/openings, spray painting it with rustoleum, or even spray painting it with bed liner is a good option to do with these racks to make them last. (Personally, I am thinking of doing the silicone sealant/bed liner combo).

Posting this thread to see if anyone has done this with "cheap" or amazon roof racks in the past to see how it work, or simply to get this forum's thoughts on what they think. I understand some will say "Just save up for awhile for a better rack", but with my very slim budget with being a new business owner its all I can really afford. Regardless of my rambling, please let me know what you guys think! :cool:
I'm also open to other ideas that may work with an affordable or "cheap" rack to make it last.
This is also my first post on here, and also my first Liberty I have ever owned. Glad to be part of the community!

{ Roof rack link in which I'm interested in buying }

- Taytos

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like a decent rack. If it hits your budget, go for it. I have mounted/removed/modified my roof rack multiple times. The type of fabrication looks similar to the big name brands so it should be relatively quiet..plus it has a fairing included which is a plus. What do you plan to haul in it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Back in the early years LOL ( 2005 ) bought a cheapie for 50-60 bucks and was something like that
( way it is made ) Sanded it well , all over, then light coat of paint, sealed the pieces together and gave the whole thing several coats of paint
Then mounted it down almost between the side rails , never rusted in the year or so I ran it before someone bought it from me
Just keep it low, a lot of the racks I see are way up high in the air due to using the wrong crossbars

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Longer version of the one I use. I got the shorter version so as not to obscure my sun roof.
(Seen here while I was taking shots of a white-lined sphinx moth tha was out at an unusual time)

I found the stock item to have low quality hardware and a thin powder coat. To prevent rust I got SS hardware and bedlinered the whole thing once assembled.

Only complaint is that the plastic hand nuts on the clamps come loose, requiring me to add an extra checkpoint on my weekly maintenance inspections.
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes most of the so called hold downs are worthless, didn't even use the ones that came with the one I had back then.
Stainless steel ubolts did the job
Held it down to the home made cross bars really well
bottom rails on the rack sat down level with the siderails on both ends