Roof lights...............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Anyone got any info on getting the wires from roof lights into the cab? Is it just a single skin on the roof to drill through and silicone or is there a double skin to drill through? Any info or photos would be appreciated. I know there was something that Bennett posted ages ago but I can't find any of Bennett's posts. Where did he go? Have I missed something?
My spring project is to get some roof lights fitted and just bouncing ideas around at the moment but they all involve getting wires into the cab with no leaks.
I like to be different so it is going to be a custom built job made out of stainless cos I love the stuff.
Any wires will be routed through the bars wherever possible for a nice clean look but just want to make sure it is watertight where they go through the roof.

Option 1 - Remove roof rails and mountings and fabricate a roof light bar only from scratch.
Option 2 - Remove existing rails but leave mountings and replace rails with stainless tubing and weld cross pieces on to make a stainless rack, obviously with lights on the front of it.
Option 3 - And nobody is allowed to do it till I have! :happy175: - Remove rails and mountings, swap front mountings side to side so that the front mountings point forwards, and use a piece of stainless between them for a "Factory look" light bar and the same swap at the rear to point the rear ones rearwards with a lightbar for some work lights/reversing lights at the rear.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Cheers, Steve :smokin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
why drill through the roof?
You can also run the wires down the pillar under the moulding, three screws and it pulls away from the windshield/pillar, run your wires down behind and done

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He means like this;
You must be registered for see images attach

The wires run under the seal and into the engine compartment. Then I wire everything up to relays & the battery and the wiring to the switch under the dash through the firewall via an existing rubber grommet beneath the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why drill through the roof?
You can also run the wires down the pillar under the moulding, three screws and it pulls away from the windshield/pillar, run your wires down behind and done

Just tuck it behind the rubber door seal you mean?
I like to do things as neat as possible and forget about them. My wife seems to think its OCD. I just prefer to think of it as a job well done. Hehe. Any other ideas? Has anyone drilled their roof or does everyone go this route?

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on doing a custom roof basket with a hoop that's extends forward of the sunroof for a lightbar...I'm going with regular steel ill paint it up with some chasis black coat then spray on herculiner, why are u choosing stainless? To avoid rust or for the look?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just tuck it behind the rubber door seal you mean?
I like to do things as neat as possible and forget about them. My wife seems to think its OCD. I just prefer to think of it as a job well done. Hehe. Any other ideas? Has anyone drilled their roof or does everyone go this route?

So running down the pillar is not a job well done:shrug:
better than having a leak :Bye::Bye::Bye:
I'm done!:favorites68:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So running down the pillar is not a job well done:shrug:
better than having a leak :Bye::Bye::Bye:
I'm done!:favorites68:

I didn't say it was not a job well done. I was answering your question about why do I want to drill through the roof!
The rest of it was a simple statement explaining how i like to do things.
Not to start an argument or to say running wires outside is right or wrong, but I personally would prefer to keep the wiring on the inside rather than slamming the door onto it every time I get in or out of my Jeep or have it trapped and damaged. You seem to think I was having a go at you. Chill out Tom. Read my original reply again and hopefully it will be obvious that there was no malice intended. I even put a "hehe" in there to signify it was not a slur on your or anyone elses chosen method.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on doing a custom roof basket with a hoop that's extends forward of the sunroof for a lightbar...I'm going with regular steel ill paint it up with some chasis black coat then spray on herculiner, why are u choosing stainless? To avoid rust or for the look?

Never rusts and I like the look of it. No painting, Never fades. Always stays looking the same. Do it once and forget about it. Cough cough.