Roof Baskets, noise and gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who run a roof basket how much did it hurt your gas mileage and how much wind noise does it produce?

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent noticed any significant decrease in mpg when i run my basket but it is rather noisy. I dont have it fitted all the time though. And if gas mileage is a concern im afraid you bought the wrong car lol

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha just a figure of speach. Is this the old "every time some one calls a jeep a car a puppy dies"? If so will the puppy live if i change it to vehicle?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As long as you don't mount them like some do 4-8 inches above the rack they are not bad. My first rack I had mounted same height as the roof rails didn't change mileage one bit
The Rock Lizard rack I notice no difference at all even with the lights across the front, but then again I keep everything as low as possible
No wind noise at all
Mileage on the highway 20-21 easy

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I run the homemade cross rails, and the Black Widow roof rack - a very inexpensive set up. Little to no noise (even without the wind fairing). And I have used it for carrying gear across the country. No complaints.

Roof Rack Storage Basket

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are in those toolboxes?

Ummm tools? Haha just kidding, i wanted to find a low profile tool box that has a angled lid to act like an air damper to put my recovery gear in. I really need to try to free some space in the back.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spare parts,recovery gear,and more.

Have you ever come across a kind of box that i speak of? Im looking for something around 2 inches tall in the front and as wide as the rails. Then angling up to 4" over 5" or 6" of depth if that makes any sense at all lol.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever come across a kind of box that i speak of? Im looking for something around 2 inches tall in the front and as wide as the rails. Then angling up to 4" over 5" or 6" of depth if that makes any sense at all lol.
No,took me awhile to find the ones I have.

Challenger ATV Storage Box

I have the 6" high ones.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill cut some cardboard tomorrow and mock one up to see how it sits. Think i could find something with a little less depth if 6" is to much?

Oh and btw your kj is *********, looks great and fully functional. I know its on the rock lizard site but have you tried to get it in a magazine? I would be really surprised if they turned you down.

Members online