Gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jancet

Reaction score
Stock Liberty 2003. I did a valve seals replacement and taking advantage that I have removed the injector's rail, I changed the micro filters to the fuel injectors and also an ultrasound cleaning. From an average of 15.8 L/100 km now I am doing around 13.1 L/100 km (18 miles/gallon). Cleaning injectors really works... :)

Reactions: JRB

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get around 17 MPG (highway @65-70 mph) with 31x10.5-15 tires and regeared to 4.10s. Having a high cut front bumper isn't doing the aerodynamics any favors...

The gov

Reaction score
Heavily loaded, 2 toolboxes and at the moment a 318 Dodge block in the back ...
I average about 15 mpg but I have gotten 19 on long trips .
I still don't think thats bad compared to my 2000 Dodge Durango! LOL
2006 KJ with a shade over 300,000 klicks on her. I am just going to fire all new 02 sensors in next week and will check my mileage after that.

Drifterz1973

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm just wondering what kind of gas mileage y'all are getting? I know I am not running at optimal conditions ie leaking evap canister,which I 'temporarily' plugged the vacuum line on the engine side just to get it idling normalish. I wondering how much km/mi I'm losing at the tank.
Currently I'm averaging about 280 ish km or 174 ish mi. Engine is the 3.7 v6 and I use 87 regular gas
How?? Mines an 04 with 126k limited 3.7l and my overhead says average is 9.5 mph

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've averaged 14L/100km (16.5mpg) over the last year and a half. Most of that is driving in Vancouver, BC, which is VERY congested and slow. Think San Fransisco type traffic. Like LFHoward I use Fuelly to track my fuel economy. It is a pretty informative tool I think as you get a history of your economy and it is possible to spot trends for better or worse.

Typical fuel economy is:
City 15L/100km (15.5mpg)
Highway 12L/100km (19.5mpg)
Best ever 9L/100km (26mpg) Heading down the Rockies towards the Pacific at a slow 80km/h (50mph)
Worst ever 19L/100km (12mph) Right foot down in the city
Typical off-road + highway weekend 16.5L/100km (14mpg)
Overall it is pretty well in line with what the EPA and NRCAN rate the KJ at.

I put in new injectors last year hoping to see an improvement in mileage, but it made no difference. If anyone knows how to put in a ZF 8 speed from a JL Wrangler let me know! Hahaha! Could probably gain 5mpg from that.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just drove from Philadelphia to southern Michigan and back. I have a 4" lift and 31's (245/75R16 BFG KO2's load range E). I averaged about 72 mph and got 17.5 mpg with the air conditioning on, and 19 mpg with the air conditioning off. My Jeep has stock gears, so the 31's put it right at that tipping point where mpg starts to drop off. AC robs just enough power to make the Jeep downshift on hills and drink more fuel! Need 4.10 gears! Would never want 32" tires without them.

Fuel consumption details going back to 2011 when it was stock:

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Gas mileage? My 2002 suddenly needed new coils and got left behind for the trip to Houston.

You must be registered for see images attach

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to reset my EVIC when I hit the road Wednesday. I drove 865 miles, at least 65 in Part-Time 4WD, purchased 89 octane whenever available, ran the a/c about half the time, did some Interstate miles. MPG went from 13.9 (average in-town stuff for me) to 20.0.

Reactions: JRB

The gov

Reaction score
As I mentioned back on the 6th about replacing my 02 sensors, I have replaced both the upper and down stream sensors with Bosch replacements, my fuel mileage probably increased by a mile or more, engine response is smooth and my idle is rock solid compared to it being a little rough before.
3 of the 4 sensors were original, the one NTK unit that was installed gave a bit of grief due to it being cross threaded.... must have been amature hour but I chased the threads and all seems good! LOL

Latest posts

Members online