Rocker arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter68

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you have a valve stuck open...

I would do a compression check
I did the compression test I don't know for sure which cylinder is which but I think passenger side cylinders are 2-4-6 from fire wall towards front of jeep...here is what i found cylinder 1-160, cylinder 2 -150, cylinder 3-150 cylinder 4 -160 cylinder 5 -180 cylinder 6 160.
I put new plugs in it when i got the misfire and noticed plugs from cylinder 2 had white residue on tip of the plug and cylinder 3 had black om it all others were clean...it does not backfire through the intake on cold start-up but when i take for a test run it feels like its running on 4 or 5 cylinders and back fires.

Thanks
Peter

Peter68

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you have a valve stuck open...

I would do a compression check.
Todays a good day for the Liberty, discovered the jeep sat for some time and got all gummy which could explain why it threw another rocker arm on the driver's side this time! What I thought was backfiring turns out was the rocker arm bouncing around in the valve cover...smh...parts guy at the dealer reccommended running some ATF in the crankcase until it got up to temp which I think I read somewhere in this forum...Did oil change shes running way better !!!

Thanks for the help!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, amazing it was bouncing around in there enough to sound like a backfire... Glad it didnt hurt the cam...

Have you priced out just replacing all of the lash adjusters?

Peter68

Reaction score
Dang, amazing it was bouncing around in there enough to sound like a backfire... Glad it didnt hurt the cam...

Have you priced out just replacing all of the lash adjusters?
Sort of, the dealer had to order more I took his last 2 he had so I know what OEM costs. Don't know if there are recommendations out there other than OEM. I just picked up the jeep for a good deal, so far this liberty has been the poster child for liberty issue... trying to give it a shakedown before giving keys to my kid. The amount of time it takes me to remove valve covers and change out rockers and lifters has improved greatly so to go back in to do it "right" doesn't scare me now...lol